Print Issue...

The problem I'm seeming to have is that my image is too big to make an 8x10. Is there any way I can fix this?
Change the PPI of the image. A larger PPI makes the print smaller.

At full resolution your D3100 make photos that have pixel dimensions of 4608 x 3072 pixels.
4608 x 3072 pixels assigned at 100 PPI will print 46.08 inches by 30.72 inches. At 300 PPI the same 4608 x 3072 pixels will print 15.36 inches by 10.24 imches.

If you need the long side to be 11 inches - 4608 pixels divided by 11 inches = 419 PPI. The short side will then be 3072 pixels divided by 419 PPI = 7.33 inches.

Then you can put the image on an 8.5 x 11 inch canvas using CS5.

To get an 8x10 out of the original there is no avoiding the need to crop, but you can put an uncropped orignal onto an 8x10 canvas but there will be some white border.

Here are the 3 equations you need to use:

Pixels .. divided by .. inches = pixel per inch (PPI)

Pixels .. divided by .. PPI = inches

Inches .. times .. PPI = pixels

Last edited:
How do I put it on a 8 1/2x11 canvas? The original canvas size is 12.8x19.2

Is there a setting on my camera that I can change to from now on to prevent this? Nikon told me that if I opened the file in one of their softwares that it would print the exact way I need it to and it wont. Its doing the same exact thing.

Is there a setting on my camera that I can change to from now on to prevent this? Nikon told me that if I opened the file in one of their softwares that it would print the exact way I need it to and it wont. Its doing the same exact thing.

No, your camera shoots at 4x6 ratio and you can't change it - unless you have a D3 series.

To make it print on 8 x 10, you need to add enough pixels to one edge to make the ratio 8 x 10.
How big is the image in pixels?

If you can't find this out - or don't know it, you just don't know enough to do it yourself.

In PS to to Image> Image size and put 11 where the 19.2 is. You will now have a 11 x 7.33 image you can print on 11 x 8 1/2 paper with a little over 1/2 whire border on the long sides.
If you don't like that, grab the crop tool, in the tool options put in 11 for the long side and 8.5 for the short side and crop the image. You will loose part of the long side of the image, no way around that other than above.

3rd option is have a print lab make an 8 x 12. you won't loose anything from the image. and they now make 8 x 12 frames or mats

Last edited:

No, your camera shoots at 4x6 ratio and you can't change it - unless you have a D3 series.

To make it print on 8 x 10, you need to add enough pixels to one edge to make the ratio 8 x 10.
How big is the image in pixels?

If you can't find this out - or don't know it, you just don't know enough to do it yourself.

the image in pixels is 3072x4608

@ The_Traveler - You mentioned the D3 series..can you change the ratio with it to make it print exactly what you want?

Is there a setting on my camera that I can change to from now on to prevent this?
No. Photographers have been dealing with this since the 35 mm format (26x34 mm frame) was introduced by Ernst Leitz back in 1913 or so.

The Nikon D3x is their top-of-the-line camera. Thought it doesn't come with a lens, it costs $8000 - Nikon D3X 24.5MP FX CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

There really is no avoiding doing what is necessary to understand aspect ratios and how to publish of your photographs.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back