Print Storage - Safety?

Archivist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I purchased PrintFile brand archival sleeves for a number of antique photos, which need to be stored for the long term.

They are supposed to hold 4 prints per sleeve, but the only way to do that is to insert the prints touching back to back-- I called the company to confirm this.

They assure me it's safe, but I worry about having two photographs touching back to back for long storage. Can anyone share experience or advice? Thank you in advance!

Absolutely do not do that for long term archival storage, they will and can stick together. If these negatives are truly valuable to you forget the plastic stuff and get buffered paper sleeves or envelopes to store your negatives and then put those in a buffered archival box, then store them in cool, low humidity area of your home.

Thank you both so very much.

Christopher- I received a similar reply when I contacted a photo preservation company. I will make sure the photos are stored somewhere clean and dry.

JC- They are prints, not negatives. Thank you anyway, though. If you have an opinion about prints, I'd be interested to hear it.

print files are cheap. i won't store then back to back.

just my 02 cents

JC- They are prints, not negatives. Thank you anyway, though. If you have an opinion about prints, I'd be interested to hear it.

Buffered tissue between the prints stored in an archival box.

If they are to be mounted, ArtCare brand mount board is the best available, not only is it an acid free board, but actively protects against environmental pollutants, no other board that I am aware of has this level of protection.

the above system mentioned by jc is what i do, when you have important prints, and i mean those that are important to you; as these seem to be, go the best route.

Most reactions

Back