weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a shot my mum wants to get printed to put in her kitchen she recently had remodeled (she doesn't have a window above the sink so wanted a nice big colouful landscape shot to put there). I've got this shot she likes as it was taken when we went up North for her 70th Birthday (I've posted up here before but I thought I'd include it for reference):
Achmelvich Back Bay Panorama 1 by wee_pete, on Flickr

The space would fit up to a 50x25" pretty comfortably, down to a 40x20". I reckon smaller than that it would start to get a bit lost on the wall. The kitchen is about 20'x12', and this would be hanging on the short side, so viewing distance would be between 2ft and 20ft.

After re-cropping and a few adjustments for a big print I have an aspect ratio of 4x2.4 at 4272x2563px. I was thinking a 40x24" and my lab likes these prints to be 300ppi.

A test print will probably be in order but before I get it I was looking for a bit of advice about upscaling, what and how is the best way to do it or do you think I'm on to a looser here and just need to use a different image with more pixels?

I'd love to re-shoot this but it's a long way away and getting similar weather conditions could prove challenging.

Have you upscaled before? I don’t really know much about it but coincidentally I was just watching a video about it on YouTube the other day. This was based on Affinity Photo. It seemed relatively easy. I’ll see if I can find it.

Thanks Squarepeg, no I've not really upscaled before so I've just been playing about in photoshop and lightroom. Normally I have a few pixels to spare but the biggest I've done before is a 20x10. I love the idea of having some really big prints though so may do it with some others too eventually. I'm just trying to figure out scaling with the rulers in PS so I get an actual size on my screen, which should give me an idea of the minimum quality (my screen is only 71 ppi). Had a bit of a panic last night when viewed actual size, but because of my monitor resolution I think I was actually viewing it bigger than print size. Trying to eek out as much detail as I can.

I'd appreciate it if you could find that link!

thanks

Update: I've managed to get photoshop to display "actual" size, by adjusting the DPI in the units & rulers preferences so the inches on the ruler match with a measuring tape. Turns out for me it's 92 dpi, which is funny as my screen should only be 71. But that's enabled me to try some upscaling and view the image at it's final dimensions.

Tried upsampling using photoshops various upsamplimg options (Preserve Detail looked best) tried upsampling straight to 40x24 then in 5% increments, saved as a jpeg and there's a difference between the files but not enough for me to say which.

I usually go with PS and built an action set for 110% constrain proportions and bicubic smoother. It also depends on the medium you are printing on, canvas requires less than 300dpi.

For example, I processed a 12 Megapixel file out of my D700 to 50" x 33.3" @ 150.82ppi using the +10% action then applied Nik SharpenerPro3 for selective sharpening and it looks amazing printed on canvas.

Last edited:
You may want to experiment with exposure on the print. Since your screen is backlit... but a print is (normally) not... the print often looks darker then the on-screen version (unless it's very nicely lit).

When I'm printing for a wall in a particular room, I'll toss a few 4x6" paper sheets in the print and try printing at a few different exposures to see how it will look in that particular spot... and then produce the larger print based on the one that looked the best.

..viewing distance would be between 2ft and 20ft.
Although it might start looking blocky at 2 feet, it should look fine from across the room. See if the lab will send you a test strip at the largest size you will want.

Besides making last adjustments for exposure and sharpening, you can double-check the WB in the room. Also, remember; the choice of frame will influence the overall impression. A test strip will get you started in selecting a frame.

Please convey best wishes to your mother.

Your print shop likely has a very expensive Raster Image Processor (commonly called a RIP, most of the time) that could likely do a very fine job of up-scaling the image you provide them.

Your print shop likely has a very expensive Raster Image Processor (commonly called a RIP, most of the time) that could likely do a very fine job of up-scaling the image you provide them.

Yep what he said. Forget about PS for sizing. As long as the image size is near enough, a commercial print shop will have the ability to size, colour correct and adjust contrast for the specific printer / driver / RIP being used.

You may want to experiment with exposure on the print. Since your screen is backlit... but a print is (normally) not... the print often looks darker then the on-screen version (unless it's very nicely lit).

When I'm printing for a wall in a particular room, I'll toss a few 4x6" paper sheets in the print and try printing at a few different exposures to see how it will look in that particular spot... and then produce the larger print based on the one that looked the best.

Thanks Tim, my plan is to get a test print done at or near the final size. I'll put it up there and try and judge what I'm wanting for the final image. I've already pushed the exposure slightly to the right in anticipation so I totally appreciate what you are saying about the backlight screen, I've come accross that before!

Although it might start looking blocky at 2 feet, it should look fine from across the room. See if the lab will send you a test strip at the largest size you will want.

Besides making last adjustments for exposure and sharpening, you can double-check the WB in the room. Also, remember; the choice of frame will influence the overall impression. A test strip will get you started in selecting a frame.

Please convey best wishes to your mother.

Thanks Designer, Just previewing on my computer with the file up rezzed and actual print size (having matched the ruler size in PS to a measuring tape IRL) it's looking acceptable at my desk I think from 2ft away it should be fine, getting to good from even further away.

My lab does some really nice frameless modern wall products, so it'll be one of them. Probably acrylic, possibly aluminium but that may depend on sizes I can get.

I'll actually tell my mum that, xD lol.

Yep what he said. Forget about PS for sizing. As long as the image size is near enough, a commercial print shop will have the ability to size, colour correct and adjust contrast for the specific printer / driver / RIP being used.

Thanks guys, I'll give them a phone and ask seeing as I need to contact them anyway!

You're over thinking things.
firstly, for large prints you don't need 300dpi, quite often 115 is more than sufficient.
secondly, how good is your mom's eyesight?
thirdly, if all else fails, print it on canvas.

I'm not sure if a really large size is the way to go. I'm thinking in a kitchen it would mostly be viewed standing at the sink, or at a kitchen counter, or sitting at a table. I'd think about how it would look from those distances. If it's really large and you're up close to it most of the time you're in the kitchen, you wouldn't be able to see it well. It's not like a living room where you might be viewing it from across the room a lot.

I usually size for a standard frame size, or one I can get from someplace that carries somewhat more unusual but available sizes, so it can be more easily reframed.

The photo is beautiful and should make for a wonderful print.

You're over thinking things.
firstly, for large prints you don't need 300dpi, quite often 115 is more than sufficient.
secondly, how good is your mom's eyesight?
thirdly, if all else fails, print it on canvas.

;) It was just playing on my mind because that's the resolution the lab mostly asks for. I actually ordered a test print last night, their minimum requirements for a 40x24 was 150dpi, so I just upscaled it to 300. Oh, and my mum's eyesight is terrible! (without glasses)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back