Printing Big Dilemma

I'm not sure if a really large size is the way to go. I'm thinking in a kitchen it would mostly be viewed standing at the sink, or at a kitchen counter, or sitting at a table. I'd think about how it would look from those distances. If it's really large and you're up close to it most of the time you're in the kitchen, you wouldn't be able to see it well. It's not like a living room where you might be viewing it from across the room a lot.

I usually size for a standard frame size, or one I can get from someplace that carries somewhat more unusual but available sizes, so it can be more easily reframed.

The photo is beautiful and should make for a wonderful print.

Thanks vintagesnaps, I appreciate what you are saying about size, I've not done anyghing that big before so don't really have a good concept of what it will be like. I can always downsize it for the final print. It's a pretty big house they have (by UK standards at least) so the rooms can generally handle big prints. Should find out tomorrow.

Just an update, corrected my response on page 1, the Nik filter you want to use is Sharpener Pro 3:Output Sharpener. It has options for printer type, resolution and viewing distance among others. You can selectively sharpen as well which may be beneficial in areas of detail. It is what I use one large prints.

Informative thread commenting so I can follow it, can you post a photo of it on the wall weepete once its up? interested to see how it looks :)

You can create a 150+ megapixel image with FastStone Image Viewer from a 10 or 16mp file easy. And the quality is good. IMO if you try it, use Bilinear as the up method.

Thanks mate, I'll see if I can give it a go before the final edit.

Just an update, corrected my response on page 1, the Nik filter you want to use is Sharpener Pro 3:Output Sharpener. It has options for printer type, resolution and viewing distance among others. You can selectively sharpen as well which may be beneficial in areas of detail. It is what I use one large prints.

Thanks again mate, I'll look into that too.

Informative thread commenting so I can follow it, can you post a photo of it on the wall weepete once its up? interested to see how it looks :)

Nae bother Mark!

Got the test print back today. It looks good, a bit better than on screen. Up close it's just passable, ideally I'd have liked to have seen more detail so even close up it would have been awesome. From 2.5ft away it looks good and by 4ft it's pretty awesome to my eyes. All in all I'm pretty happy, need to do a couple of minor fixes. Size wise I'm pretty happy with it, I think it's a pretty good fit on the wall.

When I was picking it up from the lab the print manager came out just to say he really liked the print and felt he had to come out and tell me himself so that was a nice compliment I wasn't expecting!

Going to get it printed 40x24 on aluminium, gloss finish I think.

Good result! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back