Printing Cropped Photos?

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, maybe this is a completely stupid question, but hey, I am a web girl, not print girl :lol:

If I crop a photo, and then send it to the printer, how are they going to print it? Will they print it to a non-standard size or will they do something else to make it "fit"?

Also, when you use sites such as Photobucket, and it gives the option to "print this photo" through their service, are you supposed to be uploading print-ready pics or web compressed? It seems the web-compressed pics will print terribly, and the print-ready will be too large to easily view.

I'm just trying to figure out if 1)I can crop my photos and still have them printed, and 2) Can I easily use one of these services such as SmugMug or Photobucket to order photos.

I can crop my photos and still have them printed,
You can...but you should make sure of your aspect ratio and resolution.
If you are going to send files for printing...don't leave anything up to them. If you want a 4x6 print...make sure that it's the correct ratio and has enough pixels. (1200x1800 for example). If you want a 5x7 print, crop it that way and save a separate copy. Same for 8x10 etc.

As for ordering prints from the same files that you upload...it doesn't make sense to me. I guess you could upload files that are good enough for 4x6 prints...but they would still be fairly big for web viewing. I always save separate copies for printing and for uploading.

In PS all the action is in the Image Size dialog, turn off resample and type in the nearest size, such a 4x6 for example (constrain proportions) . PS will instantly do the math and show how many DPI you have for that size. If it well over 300 you might try a larger document.

I've been using the ratio constraints available with the selection tool to constrain my crops to typical ratios. Canvas size is also helpful when creating borders or making an unusual crop fit a know size, so if your crop arbitrarily, say 4x7.5 for example, you can modify your PS document to exist on a 8x10 canvas, and even print two up, etc..

-Shea :mrgreen:

If I crop a photo, and then send it to the printer, how are they going to print it? Will they print it to a non-standard size or will they do something else to make it "fit"?

They can do either. Just make sure you instructions are clear.

For instance: If you create a file for a 9x10 print, you can either have it cropped to fit an 8x10 OR print it centered on an 11x14.

I suggest that you set the canvas size to the desired paper size after you make the size and shape print you want.

-Pete

Thank you for the replies :)

Ok, so now I discovered that the standard print sizes aren't what comes out of the camera? I'm sure there is some clever reason behind that :confused:

So, I created a new 8x10 document in CMYK mode (is that correct?) Then, I copied over one of my photos to the new canvas. I was left with the top and bottom of the canvas showing.

Is it typical to scale out the image, or add a black (or other color) border? I guess this is where you can add a copyright or signature as well (on the border)?

I understand that technically I can do it either way -- but is there a standard in photography?

So, I created a new 8x10 document in CMYK mode (is that correct?)
CMYK is a color space that is/was standard for a lot of commercial work and non-photo printing. Most photo labs will be working with sRGB, so I suggest that you use that instead.

As for space around the image...there is no standard...except to say that most people will probably print with no space around the image.

As you have noticed...the aspect ratios are all different. 35mm film is 2:3 (4"x6") and that has been the most popular format over the last 30 years. That's why your camera has that ratio. However, typical photo sizes like 5x7 or 8x10 are different. So if you want those sizes (to fit into a frame, for example)...then you will need to crop to the new ratio.

It it perfectly OK to resize the image to fit the new canvas. Another way to do this with photoshop, is to use the crop tool. You can enter the size and the resolution (or pick from the presets)...then the crop tool will stick to the chosen ratio and also resize the image to the requested resolution.
Again, make sure you are saving copies and not overwriting your original file.

Ah ok! Things are starting to make sense to me now! I have used PS for years and never noticed you could do that with the crop tool.

Last question, I swear... I don't see an sRGB in my mode menu. How do I get that? :hail:

And good lord, I just saw how many posts you have Mike! :lol:

I don't see an sRGB in my mode menu. How do I get that?
It should be under 'Image --> Mode'...I think.

And good lord, I just saw how many posts you have Mike!
Well, I have been posting since Dec of 2003...so that's only a few posts per day :er:

Our top poster has over 24,000 :shock:

FYI CS3: - Under EDIT, ASSIGN or CONVERT profile. If you dropped the RGB into the CMYK you probably want to go back to the RGB version, especially if there are blue colors. If you assign a new profile and the colors shift, then use the convert to profile option.

Same features are also found under Image/Mode in older versions.

FYI CS3: - Under EDIT, ASSIGN or CONVERT profile. If you dropped the RGB into the CMYK you probably want to go back to the RGB version, especially if there are blue colors. If you assign a new profile and the colors shift, then use the convert to profile option.

Same features are also found under Image/Mode in older versions.

NO, NO. NOT ASSIGN.

You want to convert

If you want to know why, just ask, but take my word that ASSIGN will hurt the final images.

Either make a black or color border for the dead space, or just trim the extra off of your prints, although you will probably need custom mats cut is you are framing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back