Printing Help

Mole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What size do you convert your RAW files to, to make 8x10, 5x7, 4x6 print sizes? My RAW image out of my camera is 3504x2336 which is about 10x6.5 (roughly). When I try to print an 8x10 for example it either doesn't fill up the paper or it distorts the image slightly. Any help please im brain fried right now so this is sounding kinda like jiberish.

What size do you convert your RAW files to, to make 8x10, 5x7, 4x6 print sizes? My RAW image out of my camera is 3504x2336 which is about 10x6.5 (roughly). When I try to print an 8x10 for example it either doesn't fill up the paper or it distorts the image slightly. Any help please im brain fried right now so this is sounding kinda like jiberish.
I always keep my images in their full size when converting from RAW and only downsize when the PP has been completed. That way I don't have to re-manipulate the image again. Once you have your image imported from RAW in to PS and you have completed the manipulations desired, save that as an original and downsize to save to a separate file.

Saying basically the same thing, if you want 8x10 specifically, you'll have to crop some of the image off. Same for 5x7, but a different amount. If you really want to print at those predetermined sizes, then keep your original so you can go back to it. You can then crop that and save a file specific for printing. I prefer to crop for the image once and that's what the image is. If it looks better as a 2:3 ratio (8x12), I'll keep it like that and have a frame made to match. You can order them custom from American Frame for about the same as you can get pre-mades that are limited in size.

The aspect ratios are different...so you need to crop.

In Photoshop, I use the crop tool. You can enter the dimensions (8x10, 5x7 etc) and then crop tool will keep that ratio. You can also set the resolution with the crop tool. For printing, use 300 PPI.

This will give you a file that is 2400 x 3000 pixels for an 8x10 print.

The aspect ratios are different...so you need to crop.

In Photoshop, I use the crop tool. You can enter the dimensions (8x10, 5x7 etc) and then crop tool will keep that ratio. You can also set the resolution with the crop tool. For printing, use 300 PPI.

This will give you a file that is 2400 x 3000 pixels for an 8x10 print.

Thanks for the help :) after thinking about it for awhile I figured I would have to crop it to get the size I wanted.

Most reactions

Back