Prioritizing purchases

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,
I just ordered a flash (SB-600) and I am trying to figure out what else to get after it comes. First on my list is to get a new tripod, I am just researching various options. After I get that out of the way, maybe you could help me prioritize the most important equipment. So far these are what I have planned:

New body (D300 or D700): Keep in mind I am still learning on my D60
Upgrade my MacBook to a MacBook Pro
Buy editing software after I finish my trials and decide which is best (Aperture vs. Lightroom, Photoshop Elements vs. CS4, etc)
70-200 f/2.8 VR Nikkor lens
24-70 f/2.8 Nikkor lens
12-24 f/4 Nikkor lens
Any types of filters?
Reflectors for portraits?
Extra SD cards (I currently have 2)

Am I missing anything?
I will probably grab a 50mm lens, but I will wait until I get a new body since the autofocus doesn't work on the D60.

It seems you have an extensive and expensive wish list. Best option is to work with what you have at the moment. If you get just the D300 and those lenses, you're talking $7115 (B&H prices), the D700 is another $425, but the 12-24mm is a DX lens. So to get the Holy Trinity in full frame, you have to get the 14-24mm which sets you back another $900 in exchange.

So, work with what you have. New Flash??? How about a shoot through and/or reflective umbrella? Perhaps a 5-in-1 reflector kit. A lightstand and a stand for the reflector with arm?

Have you got a second battery? Have you got plenty of AA batteries for the SB600 and a charger?

Dude, the list is endless for possible gear to get. Set your priorities and get what you need when you need it.

It seems you have an extensive and expensive wish list. Best option is to work with what you have at the moment. If you get just the D300 and those lenses, you're talking $7115 (B&H prices), the D700 is another $425, but the 12-24mm is a DX lens. So to get the Holy Trinity in full frame, you have to get the 14-24mm which sets you back another $900 in exchange.

So, work with what you have. New Flash??? How about a shoot through and/or reflective umbrella? Perhaps a 5-in-1 reflector kit. A lightstand and a stand for the reflector with arm?

Have you got a second battery? Have you got plenty of AA batteries for the SB600 and a charger?

Dude, the list is endless for possible gear to get. Set your priorities and get what you need when you need it.

I keep a 40 pack of AA batteries in my truck at all times, and I will definitely be getting another camera battery when I start doing real shoots. I had thought about a light stand, but does the D60 have the ability to fire flashes wirelessly?

I realize this is a large list, but I have saved up for a while and have the cash to purchase it all. However, I plan to spread it out over quite a few months because I just bought my 18-200 (for an all around lens for offroading, etc so I don't have to change lenses in dusty conditions) and a $2,000 bumper for my 4Runner. My plan is maybe one large purchase every month or 2, and then some smaller items in between to build my set-up. This way by November/December (B-day/Xmas) I can use all of the cash/B&H gift cards I get to pick off some of the items I haven't yet purchased.

I purchased the flash because I am working on the smaller (but necessary) items first. I am looking at tripods/ballheads for my next upgrade ($400-$500 range). The first lens I plan to get is the 70-200, but I plan to work on all of the foundation items before I buy another lens.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Sorry for the novel!

I would say the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 first, DEFINITELY. The reason I say this, is with the d300 and d700 (d700 especially) they require good glass to really shine. No sense on putting a crappy 100 dollar kit lens on a 3000 dollar beast of a camera lol. Secondly, I wouldn't invest in any more sd cards at all. The reason being 2 is enough for the d60's file size, and second, the d300 and d700 both use CF cards. And I can bet you'd be really upset if you invested 50 or 100 bucks in more memory, only to have to do it all over again.

Your top of the list should be a 105mm Macro lens. Everything else is just not photography. Well this is my opinion anyway. But how are we supposed to be able to prioritise your purchase? I know some guys who'd happily have another 5 SB-600s before they buy a telezoom like the 70-200.

Think about what you need now. Then wipe the list clean and start it again in a few months. You may find your priorities change quite a bit. e.g. if you get a D700 you may find the 70-200 to be very substandard, maybe even too short and opt for a 300mm f/4 instead. If you get a D300 you may find it to be awesome. Then again you're also getting a new flash and tripod so maybe that macro idea isn't too bad afterall.

Don't plan, just take photos that interest you with the equipment you have, and upgrade as you need it.

Last edited:
I am going to pick up a polarizing filter, wireless shutter release and some reflectors. I think those should get me off to a good start as some basic necessities. Any other recommendations?

personally, i don't really care about wide angle and macro photography at this point. i may touch on it here and there but i mainly stick to nature and zoo photography so i have no need for full frame, i think i benefit more from the DX crop. so i'll probably get 2 of whatever replaces the D300 with grips and a Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8. possibly the 80-400mm as well. then i'll have to hire someone to help me carry it.

personally, i don't really care about wide angle and macro photography at this point. i may touch on it here and there but i mainly stick to nature and zoo photography so i have no need for full frame, i think i benefit more from the DX crop. so i'll probably get 2 of whatever replaces the D300 with grips and a Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8. possibly the 80-400mm as well. then i'll have to hire someone to help me carry it.

I wouldn't recommend the 80-400, it's big, fat, and slllooooow. It's only 2.9lbs so if you are going to hire someone, you might as well get the 600mm. Make them work for their money. :mrgreen:

I recommend the 70-200 with a teleconverter. Then if you really get serious about wildlife you can get the 200-400 and eventually the 600. :lol:

I wouldn't recommend the 80-400, it's big, fat, and slllooooow. It's only 2.9lbs so if you are going to hire someone, you might as well get the 600mm. Make them work for their money. :mrgreen:

I recommend the 70-200 with a teleconverter. Then if you really get serious about wildlife you can get the 200-400 and eventually the 600. :lol:

lol good point. on making them work. though photographing wildlife the 80-400mm is good to have in your arsenal.

i already have the 70-200 and a 1.7x teleconverter. sweet combo.
i've always found a way (being a non profit photographer) to justify my purchases in my head. but i'd have a hard time justifying $7,000 and $10,000 lenses even in my own twisted head. not to mention i'd need a bigger car. lol

as for a realistic purchase though.. whenever i do by a nice lens i always buy a B&W #010 with it.

Really depends on what you want to shoot. For me, I think lighting is the most important thing, a few flashes and umbrellas will give you much better pictures than a new lens or camera. Your D60 cannot trigger your SB600 without some kind of add-on (either a cable or wireless trigger), but it is possible.. I started with Cactus triggers on my D40, and moved on to Cybersyncs later. Check out strobist.com.

I've been hearing rumors that Nikon will replace the D300 some time this year, so you might want to wait for that (I have a D300, and it is a great camera). If you want to spend some big money now, go for some good lenses, they will last you for many years.

Think about what you need now. Then wipe the list clean and start it again in a few months. You may find your priorities change quite a bit.

I very much agree with this = having an overall plan of action is a good move and do keep an eye on it - but do make sure that you remain adaptable to your current changes as well - no point getting a bit of gear when your just not going to use it because your doing something totaly different that really needs a different bit of gear to work that well!
Money changes, situations etc... are all going to affect how and when you get new gear.

Also on the editing front get yourself a copy of Photoshop Elements 7 and learn to shoot in RAW. That is more than you will need for starting out - sure its missing a few things (a google search can turn up quite a few workarounds and free addon downloads) but its far more economical. Full photoshop is a dream, but its very expensive and very complicated and until you know what your doing its a lot of money for something which you wll only be using a faction of - a lot of money which could be better spent getting something to let you get shots.
Once you have shots you can edit them whenever you want - but no amount of photoshop can let you take photos that you had to miss because you didn't have the gear.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this is funny but he said he's still learning on the D60...yet he's going to blow all his money on pro gear?

no problem with that - I am still learning on my 400D - I have 1 pro canon lens and 2 pro sigma lenses - and I hope to increase the pro canon lenses this year as well - 300mm f2.8 IS is the dream - though chances are it will be the f4 version since its a bit cheaper - but still pro.
The level of gear a person should use is the gear they can afford - if you can afford pro end and can justify the purchase to youself (and to other half if you have one) then go for it - sure you might take time to learn to use the gear fully, but its far better to grow into gear than it is to grow out of it.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this is funny but he said he's still learning on the D60...yet he's going to blow all his money on pro gear?

What's your point? This is why I stated that the new body will probably wait, as the lenses are more important. By your logic, I should use my D60 with it's kit lens and forget about better glass, lighting, and everything else I mentioned rather than expanding my range?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back