Pro crop d500

The D500 is in Nikon's Enthusiast lineup, not the Pro lineup.
You can forget about there ever being a D400.

I like the round viewfinder eye port and built in viewfinder shutter.

15 of the cross-type AF sensors support f/8 - cool.

Dang. They don't have the User's Manual online yet.
The pictures of the d500 show a pro body ==> Nikon D500 | Interchangeable Lens DSLR from Nikon

round eyepiece for viewfinder
Quality, ISO, WB & Metering buttons on top of the dial
front OCF cable connectors
--> the pics show a rear TILTing LCD like the d750
1/8000 shutter
and NO Scene modes ??

Last edited:
I love that iso placement. 2 grand is a bit much for me to justify this purchase for what i'm using it for, i'll keep scouting with my d7100, hamsters aren't that fast :)

It will be interesting to see if they follow up with a baby D5 in a year like they did after the D3/D300 release (D700).
D900 anyone?

It will be interesting to see if they follow up with a baby D5 in a year like they did after the D3/D300 release (D700).
D900 anyone?
I wish they would essentially use the same body and electronics, but just change the sensor.
Then you would have a D500D (DX) and a D500F (FX)

I also noticed the sb-9000 flash with built in radio receiver for a tad under $600

I was so for the D750 but I have to think I long and hard on the D500 now.If I get my tax return like every year In February I might just pre order the D500 but not 100 percent sure yet.I still really love the D750 for what little time i played with at the Camera shop.The only thing that I noticed when holding the camera grip that it feels very hollow but maybe I am so used to my Pentax k3 that feels like a darn brick.

I love that iso placement. 2 grand is a bit much for me to justify this purchase for what i'm using it for, i'll keep scouting with my d7100, hamsters aren't that fast :)
They do a pretty good clip on the hamster wheel.

cgw said:
After years of gusty demands for a pro DX body, here it is. With DSLR sales down and affordable FX options available(not to mention the D7200), let's see how many who whined about build quality and pro-level controls actually step up with the cash. Seems like a pricey iteration delayed a bit too long. So Nikon.

Only problem is, this is not an "iteration"...this is an all-new camera that comes more or less on the eight-year, major shift cycle timing pattern Nikon has been following since the D1 era. The D7000/D7100/D7200 line is a good example of what iteration means--repeating the same basic chit until a desired result is hopefully arrived at. The D500 is not an iteration--it is a revolutionary camera that breaks a lot of new ground in multiple areas. All-new focus system, new battery grip, tilting LCD built on a "pro-type" body, 4k video, ISO expansion to 1.6 million,large,small,and medium RAW capture options, 200 frame 14 bit RAW buffer, 10 frames per second at under $2000. Nikon's round eyepiece bodies with eyepiece shutters are very different from cams like the D610 or D750., which feel very, well...consumer-y.

Nikon does its major technology shifts every second generation. As somebody who reads Thom Hogan's every word, surely you are fully aware of that, cgw--he wrote about the 8-year cycle just a few days ago. The D1 and D3 generations were MAJOR shifts, major advancements. The D2 and D4 generations were pretty minor shifts. Surely you can see that the D300 then D300s (the "s" representing then mid-cycle refinement nomenclature Nikon has done since the 1980's) were of one generation; the missing D400 would have been the intermediary generation; now that the odd-numbered models are being released, the D500 and D5 are the eight-year, major technology shift models.

But yeah...how many people really will buy a machine like this is a good thought you've brought up. Personally, I'm not convinced that the market for this type of camera is very robust now...I think the camera craze bubble is very much over, at least as selling large numbers of serious enthusist/pro cameras like the D500.

Last edited:
I agree with Derrel, I really think Nikon needs this and hope sales ski rocket.

large,small,and medium RAW capture options
I missed that in the specs. nice. I would love that with the d8x0 series or any other future high density sensors.

I heard this will have an auto AF adjustment feature...if it works well that would be awesome!

cgw said:
After years of gusty demands for a pro DX body, here it is. With DSLR sales down and affordable FX options available(not to mention the D7200), let's see how many who whined about build quality and pro-level controls actually step up with the cash. Seems like a pricey iteration delayed a bit too long. So Nikon.

Only problem is, this is not an "iteration"...this is an all-new camera that comes more or less on the eight-year, major shift cycle timing pattern Nikon has been following since the D1 era. The D7000/D7100/D7200 line is a good example of what iteration means--repeating the same basic chit until a desired result is hopefully arrived at. The D500 is not an iteration--it is a revolutionary camera that breaks a lot of new ground in multiple areas. All-new focus system, new battery grip, tilting LCD built on a "pro-type" body, 4k video, ISO expansion to 1.6 million,large,small,and medium RAW capture options, 200 frame 14 bit RAW buffer, 10 frames per second at under $2000. Nikon's round eyepiece bodies with eyepiece shutters are very different from cams like the D610 or D750., which feel very, well...consumer-y.

Nikon does its major technology shifts every second generation. As somebody who reads Thom Hogan's every word, surely you are fully aware of that, cgw--he wrote about the 8-year cycle just a few days ago. The D1 and D3 generations were MAJOR shifts, major advancements. The D2 and D4 generations were pretty minor shifts. Surely you can see that the D300 then D300s (the "s" representing then mid-cycle refinement nomenclature Nikon has done since the 1980's) were of one generation; the missing D400 would have been the intermediary generation; now that the odd-numbered models are being released, the D500 and D5 are the eight-year, major technology shift models.

But yeah...how many people really will buy a machine like this is a good thought you've brought up. Personally, I'm not convinced that the market for this type of camera is very robust now...I think the camera craze bubble is very much over, at least as selling large numbers of serious enthusist/pro cameras like the D500.

I'm sure Nikon corporate would be greatly amused by your parsing of their product development formulas. Fact is, the D500 is less a breakthrough than a rather desperate shopping trip through the Sendai parts shelves. It went way past term in its development and looks rushed now(induced delivery?). Would have been a brilliant product 3-5 years ago, it now looks like they stopped listening to consumers at about the same time. Hogan's just another voice in the crowd that's sometimes more informed than most--including us here. Still, it remains a curiosity to me for its release timing, specs and, above all, price point. I see body and/or body+grip discounts by mid-year. They pushed FX too hard, too long at the expense of DX. The D500 market may prove to be mirage.

Kirk Tuck's take on the D5/500 is worth a look.

Last edited:
I love when left field comes out to play...

cgw said:

I'm sure Nikon corporate would be greatly amused by your parsing of their product development formulas. Fact is, the D500 is less a breakthrough than a rather desperate shopping trip through the Sendai parts shelves. It went way past term in its development and looks rushed now(induced delivery?). Would have been a brilliant product 3-5 years ago, it now looks like they stopped listening to consumers at about the same time. Hogan's just another voice in the crowd that's sometimes more informed than most--including us here. Still, it remains a curiosity to me for its release timing, specs and, above all, price point. I see body and/or body+grip discounts by mid-year. They pushed FX too hard, too long at the expense of DX. The D500 market may prove to be mirage.

Kirk Tuck's take on the D5/500 is worth a look.
It's hard to know the product delivery cycles when these companies keep things secret. Thus one has to look at trends.
They may have specific schedules on certain updates of each model and the d300s update finally got the approval. Maybe it was delayed but considering it has carbon fiber in the body it would have been developed with the same philosophy as the d750.

It also have the builtin Wifi AND bluetooth, so it's definitely feature packed. Feature packed to hopefully get people to buy it that are on the fringes. I know I would love to have faster transfer options to the internet. Since everyone is posting on Facebook the quickest time to post gets one the most money/exposure. It definitely would help the person sitting on the NFL sidelines getting his pictures to an Editor which still sitting on the sidelines using the Lightroom on his phone for quick editing. but we'll see what happens to this camera. They certainly priced it squarely on the Canon 7dm2 retail price.

I certainly like the d500 list of options. but it's still more money than the d750.
The same issue Canon has with the 7dm2 and 6d, thus how are those sales ?

cgw said:
snip>>>Fact is, the D500 ....Would have been a brilliant product 3-5 years ago...

You say the Nikon D500 would have been a brilliant product 3-5 years ago? LMFAO.

Yeah, riiiiiiight. Do you mean in the same way that the iPhone 6s would have been a brilliant product ten years ago?

Left field indeed.

Most reactions

Back