Probably not worth C&C

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been with TPF for some time now, and can finally post. So, I'm doing this because I can. A foggy day in the mountains. The inspiration for this was LeFoto's "Lower Saxony #6". Shot with a ten yr old Olympus 3.3 dig/zoom. I posted one in color and the other in B&W and think the B&W looks gimmicky. I'm a retired documentary photographer and have to re-learn everything. I'll post more when I get the real camera I'm saving for.

Tom Beard

Attachments

• $fog 15.jpg
    $fog 15.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 158
  • $fog 20.jpg
    $fog 20.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 144
I think the colour one would have been lovely if the fog wasnt so thick, it mutes the colour a bit too much.

I'm only a beginner though so what do I know :lol:

So if you have photoshop, try a levels adjustment with 46/0.94/232 on photo #1. (I'd post an edit but you're flagged as not allowing.) I think you'd be satisfied with the results. This de-hazes the foreground about ripe with the ROT (which wasn't intentional, but hey...).

first let me say I think if you want C&C then EVERY photo is worth it. For now, C&C is really my only means of learning and helping me figure out what I am doing wrong. Granted you have to understand there is a lot of personal feeling with forum C&C but I love the fact that I can get so many different perspectives all at once.

secondly I like #1 as well, enhance the blacks and I think it would pretty decent. I only wish I had a foggy area like such to work with.

The reason I thought this photo wasn't worth it, is that I'm not able to take advice to fix it because I don't have the technology. Lousy 3.3 MP camera and no software to use to apply your good advice. Until I can get a good dslr (where I can probably fix a lot in the camera) and software, it's just a snapshot. As to the fog, I live in the mountains at 6,000 ft. (in So. California no less), and in spring we can be in a cloud for a week at a time. Several weeks ago some body got advice about free imaging software. I searched back about five weeks, and couldn't find it. Have you any suggestions? I'm saving every penny I can to get a decent Canon or Nikon. Thanks for your input, it's really appreciated.

Tom Beard

PS: My last MRI showed evidence of the lobotomy. The rest was blank.

Last edited:
NEVER SAY NEVER
Just FYI. It is not good to rely on the camera for photo fixes. I have never use on camera fixes. Ever. Though I am sure some people may use them. IDK. Me.. I do not rec omened it but hey....to each his own. C&C... I would crank the contrast and make it B&W and then soften the image slightly. But thats me....

Cheers

These photos are good! They're better than a lot of stuff I put on here, so if anything don't feel like you're alone in that respect.

So I'm going to be the black (and white) sheep and say I like the second more. But the biggest issue I have with it isn't the fog. I like the fog! I would say its the foreground. It looks like you shot this at head or chest level, and maybe, perhaps maybe, it would look better shot at a lower angle (like around the knees or so). This might help it look more ominous, too. I don't know this for a fact, but my point is to try out different angles. There are so many photos taken at eye level, that taking a shot at a different angle will a lot of times add interest to the photo by itself. Taking a photo with a different perspective won't make it great by itself, but its a good start.

Overall I'd say you did a great job for your skill level.

Edited to add: You could try (if you feel the same way I do) cropping the bottom of the photo a little. Maybe take out some of the ground to put the emphasis on that SPOOKY house in the background.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back