Breaux

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mauricegatlin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I cannot find an answer to this anywhere on the internet:
I can't get my new Nikon D200 to trigger my old Metz flash via the pc socket. I've made sure the flash works, and the connection is as tight as possible, for a pc connection, but no flash. I'm still learning the menu, so maybe I'm missing a required menu setting? One of the reasons I chose the D200 was that it's mostly compatible with all my very old equipment. Which has been true so far except for this one issue. Thanks for any ideas!

It's the Metz 45-CT1. So what happens if I attempted to overload it,which I guess I did? I only noticed that it didn't flash.

Don't know as don't use the PC connector on my D200 myself.
But follow some of those links may provide an answer.

Check the pc cable itself. Charge your flash and then without connecting to the camera but with the cable connected to the flash take a pin or even a small screwdriver and short the centre pin to the outside barrel of the pc cable. The flash should fire if the the cable is sound. If the cable is ok but still no flash when connected to the camera then you might have to get your camera checked out.

From an engineering viewpoint the design of the PC connector sucks. In practice it is very unreliable because it is easily bent out of shape.

I thought FlashZebra carried a tool to use for straightening the connector, but I don't see it on their web site.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I did some more research, and, according to the Metz website, my flash is low-voltage and compatible with digital cameras. Although earlier 45 CT-1's were not.

The flash does fire when I manually short-circuit the pc cable.

So I seem to be back to the eternal problem that pc connections just suck. I couldn't find any screw lock cable with the right plug style on the flash end. Mine is an older style than the "Metz 6 Row proprietary connector."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back