Problem with making my RAW’s looking as good as the jpg images in a specific scenario

Jikdor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello TPF, I usually don’t have a problem with editing my raws to look better than the original jpg images but in this case I have trouble. The problem is with the ambient light/lasers in the background, it looks decent on the jpg but horrible oversaturated on the raw image. It looks like someone threw a bucket of blue paint over the image. I can’t find a way to fix it, dose anyone have any idea how to edit this!? I’m having the same problem over and over when shooting is this environment. I’m using LR 5.3 and PS CC.

The first attached image is the original raw. The Second is the jpg, it looks like i want it (except to dark shadows).

Raw download link http://www.speedyshare.com/3qADu/DSC-4094.NEFDSC_4094.NEF - Speedy Share - upload your files here (click the filename to start the download)

Attachments

• $DSC_4094.jpg
    $DSC_4094.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 167
  • $DSC_4094_raw.jpg
    $DSC_4094_raw.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 179
I'd like to give this a go but at work. As a start I would say go to colour tab in Lightroom and reduce blue channel and saturation. That should give you a base to start from

WOW!!!!!!!! This is a very fascinating example, in which the JPEG image is vastly better than the .NEF file. I brought it into Lightroom and tried a number of things I thought would work, but NONE of them looked as good at the SOOC JPEG image file. It's an unusual image file...

Cameras getting better? Why not just edit the jpeg with an adj layer. That may solve your issue

Jaomul, i tried that but I did not get it to work. Darrel yes indeed. Trough is not unusual for me, I could upload hundreds of images with the same issue :p

why does the RAW file look like the saturation slider went to 11?

why does the RAW file look like the saturation slider went to 11?

Indeed! When I imported the raw and the JPG into Lightroom side-by-side, I could not BELIEVE what the blues looked like! Whoa!

Any chance the JPEG is the result of a multi-exposure? It seems to contain information not available in the RAW. (Never seen this on my Canon, but I've never shot lasers in a nightclub either.)

Any chance the JPEG is the result of a multi-exposure? It seems to contain information not available in the RAW. (Never seen this on my Canon, but I've never shot lasers in a nightclub either.)

I would love to be able to double expose with my digital camera...

See: In-Camera HDR.

Used with high-contrast subjects, High Dynamic Range (HDR) preserves details in highlights and shadows by combining two shots taken at different exposures. HDR is most effective when used with matrix metering. It can not be used to record NEF (RAW) images.

Yea: but the lasers don't look nearly as correct as the JPEG got them.

I'm still kinda thinking the JPEG was made by an HDR auto-mode.

Now that you mention it, I remember doing that back in the Film Age.

There is probably a simple software maneuver that will do it, but I doubt if I have it.

Ahem.. I think I (a relative newbie) have found the answer.

The WB bracketing is "Not available at image quality settings that include NEF (RAW)".

I could not find any specific disclaimer under active D-lighting.

Hmmm.. interesting discussion. I am familiar with these crazy lights and it is hard to edit it. I always shoot it RAW only and I have never seen/didnt know that the on camera JPEG may give you a better result. It may not be the case for Canon though. I will check it out when I get home.

Most reactions

Back