Problem with sb-800 on bracket using new flash cord (Vello ittl cord for nikon)

baturn

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is this a lack of communication thru my new flash cord?
1. when aperture is clearly set to f8 the display on my sb-800 reads f5.6
2. When sb-800 goes to standby mode it does not wake up when shutter is half pressed and first shot has no flash
3. metadata in light room indicates no flash when clearly there was (see photo)

DSC_7824.jpg

Are you using the SB800 in TTL, manual, or ?? mode? Either way though, it does sound like the cable might be defective...

Are you using the SB800 in TTL, manual, or ?? mode? Either way though, it does sound like the cable might be defective...
it's brand new, first time out and to answer your question TTL.
I am correct in thinking the cord should communicate all the info I expect, right?

You are correct, it should. Are you certain that the correct is correctly mounted to the hot-shoe and flash and tightly secured to both?

TTL hot shoe cables are notorious for having connection problems. Ask any pro photographer who has used them, you have have to have two or three of them on hand if they are essential for what you are doing. You never know when or how they will crap out.

The 'name brand' ones are usually better, but 3X the price. So by getting a cheap one, it looks like maybe it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

Double check that it's not a problem with how it's seated on the camera and/or flash, and if the problem still persists, send it back.

When using an off-shoe TTL cord, everything should behave just like the flash is mounted on the camera.

TTL hot shoe cables are notorious for having connection problems. .
This! I lost one on the way to a job a couple of years ago, and the only one I could get at the local bricks & mortar store was an off-brand MiC unit. It worked on about 1 out of 3 exposures and was promptly tied in knots (and I know some good knots!) when I got home. The Nikon cords I have? Never a problem as long as remember to fully seat the cord on the hot-shoe and the light on the cord.

2 - configure the SB-800 to not go into sleep mode. Then it will be ready at any time. plus the sound of my SB-800 coming out of standby might scare away birds. Sounds like I'm in a Star Wars movie with a light saber turning on.

You can nab new Nikon cords for fairly cheap on eBay if you watch some. I bought 2 new SC-15 Sync Cords ($13.25 shipped) & a new AS-15 hot shoe adapter ($10) and they work fine with my SB-800 on a bracket. I can also use my SB-700 on a Nikon SC-17 ($17.50) hotshoe on the bracket.

I've read so much about cord problems that I wanted to make sure that I had quality cords for bracket use, and a backup different option.

The Nikon SC-29 is good too if you are in a lot of low light situations, so I've read.

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I checked and rechecked the connection at both ends as soon as I noticed it was not coming out of stand by. It sounds like the consensus is that s#@$ happens, especially with off brand cords. I think I will give it another try and if it is still a problem I will purchase the appropriate Nikon model.
I really want to do some more experimenting with the flash on the bracket as I was under whelmed with the first results.

news flash!!! I just tried the bracket, cord ,sb-800 on the D300s and it seems to work perfectly. But not on the D7100. Please stand by for updates.

I bought a Stroboframe flip bracket for $10 ebay barely used
they go for new at Adorama for $25ish

they used to go to $90ish new then all of a sudden a price drop several months ago.

It allows you to rotate the camera to portrait mode with the flash still above.
My d600 with camera grip barely fits when flipped. With the AS15 it does not fit. But without the battery grip it fits in both vertical and horizontal.

I wanted to keep the flash on top no matter the orientation .. and I didn't want to spend much money.

they used to go to $90ish new then all of a sudden a price drop several months ago.

My d600 with camera grip barely fits when flipped. With the AS15 it does not fit. But without the battery grip it fits in both vertical and horizontal.

I wanted to keep the flash on top no matter the orientation .. and I didn't want to spend much money.
Interesting! I got the bracket and flash cord simply to try out something new (to me). If it turns out I like what it does for me, I will definitely be wanting a flip bracket. Thanks much for the info.

I got one of those but it has a different name on it but identical. Did not like it at first but getting used to it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back