Problem with tonight film developing

Canuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tonight I developed 2 rolls of 35mm and 2 rolls of 120. The 120 came out fine.
The 35mm came out clear, all but 6 frames on the 36 ex roll, the ones that turned out were at the beginning of the roll.
Both of the 35mm were shot on my Canonette GL 17. I have used the camera before with no problems, and have verified that the shutter is opening and closing.
Any ideas what could have went wrong?

Only 6 frames on both rolls?

I would think maybe it stopped advancing or something, but I don't know what would make that would happen twice in a row after 6 frames (assuming both rolls were more or less the same)...

Only 6 frames on the 36 exposure roll. No frames on the 24 exposure roll.
I am quite sure that the film was advancing. I have tried to make a mental note of watching for film advancing after I had one that didn't.

Tonight I developed 2 rolls of 35mm and 2 rolls of 120. The 120 came out fine.
The 35mm came out clear, all but 6 frames on the 36 ex roll, the ones that turned out were at the beginning of the roll.
Both of the 35mm were shot on my Canonette GL 17. I have used the camera before with no problems, and have verified that the shutter is opening and closing.
Any ideas what could have went wrong?

Sounds like the shutter stopped opening. Without any film in the camera leave the back open and see it the shutter is working.

It's been YEARS since I owned a Canonet. I had two of them in the 1980's...I recall that there is a mercury battery or two in the bottom...is the shutter battery-operated???? It seems to me like the shutter was mechanical, but the meter required batteries...maybe you shot some frames wayyyyyyyyy under-exposed? Or, maybe, the shutter conked out??

I just checked the shutter, it is working, I was sure I hear the shutter clicking. The shutter is a mechanical Copal.
The only works when the camera is in "A" or shutter priority, and it appears to be working properly.
I have loaded another film in the camera and will try to get it developed tomorrow.
I could understand having a few under-exposed photos, but there wasn't even frame lines, lol.

I'd also try overexposing the crap out of some frames too, just to see if it's an aperture problem.

I will do that as well, thanks for all the help.

Most reactions

Back