Problem with wedding photographer

Well no you certainly don't have to give people your RAWs if the contract didn't promise any. But "I don't want to give you the RAWs" is a whole different ball game than "It is illegal for me to give you the RAWs".

One of those is just kinda stingy. The other one is a pants-on-head-ridiculous lie.

Looks to me that there was not enough homework done on looking for a photographer before the wedding

Really? Based on what? That she spoke w/ several photographers and reviewed portfolios and then chose not the cheapest?

I mean yes, she clearly chose a loser... but I'm not hearing much cause to blame the victim on this one.

Looks to me that there was not enough homework done on looking for a photographer before the wedding

Really? Based on what? That she spoke w/ several photographers and reviewed portfolios and then chose not the cheapest?

I mean yes, she clearly chose a loser... but I'm not hearing much cause to blame the victim on this one.

I have told a few people that are looking for wedding photographers (because i have refused) that if they find one they like, book a small portrait session with the photographer and see how they get on

I have told a few people that are looking for wedding photographers (because i have refused) that if they find one they like, book a small portrait session with the photographer and see how they get on

Right. And for someone who hasn't been privy to your special instructions, they would be derelict in their due diligence to not do that? Of course not, because the general public doens't really go about this task in that way. Sure it might be a good idea (if you have the idea) but it's really NOT in the generally acknowledged best practices that the general public would be going by.

So again, I'm not hearing much cause to blame the victim in this case.

Right. And for someone who hasn't been privy to your special instructions, they would be derelict in their due diligence to not do that? Of course not, because the general public doens't really go about this task in that way. Sure it might be a good idea (if you have the idea) but it's really NOT in the generally acknowledged best practices that the general public would be going by.

So again, I'm not hearing much cause to blame the victim in this case.

Well i would never book from what i saw on a website, you can't beat recommendations :wink: a when it is once in a lifetime shoot (well not for me my first wedding album went in the bin cost £600 in 1984)

Well I guess she could take notes for the next time she gets married. Do you have anything to offer that might actually help her out today?

Asking for the raw files would certainly offend photographers. The edited files should be good as is. The processing should match the samples you were shown.

Asking for the raw files would certainly offend photographers. The edited files should be good as is. The processing should match the samples you were shown.

If I took these photos I'd return the money, sell my camera and jump off a bridge.

Actually we didn't ask for the raw files, she offered, then didn't send them. We think that the edited pics we got were not equal to the samples that we had seen prior to hiring her.

"Should" being the operative word here Robin. Sadly not everyone operates their business the way that you do.

I wish I'd gotten on board a little earlier so I could have seen them. As I read through this thread I had so many "WTF?!" moments, it was unreal. The settings for one: f/5.6, ISO400, 1/2500th? Professional (?) wedding photographer shooting with a 60D and EF-S 18-200? So many of the actions of the photographer don't make sense to me. I still can't figure out why they offered you the RAW files in the first place, and then rescinded the offer. None of the photographers I know or have dealt with would ever do that. And to me it doesn't make sense to have two people with such obviously different styles editing the photographs.

Sounds like misrepresenting her work. I wouldn't be surprised if she's been sued before.

I am unhappy with my boudoir session you just did for me. You did not make my chest bigger. :(

That's what happens when you come to a NY shoot, and bring Ovaltine instead of Hershey's chocolate syrup special K!

Last edited:
Sounds to me like the photographer didn't know what she was doing at all.

I think all you can do is ask she edits the raw files again to provide a similar standard to what in in her portfolio. If that doesn't work explain that you expect a similar standard to what she represented she could produce and ask her to get the raw files again (though she is perfectly within her rights to not give you them or to ask for more money for them and a different contract).

I suspect the only realistic course of action you have though is to ask for a refund and if she refuses try and take her to court to reclaim your costs though. I suspect that taking her to court would only work if there is a significant difference between what she showed you and what your pics ended up like. Ultimatley you will need to decide if that is worth it.

I guess hireing a photographer is a bit like getting a tradesman, allways ask how they learned and who they served their time with. Though I appreciate that does not help you now.

Always make sure to see samples from a large number of previous weddings, with different people, and they ALL need to be good.

If the OP did that, then there wasn't much reason to have expected any disaster, and I wouldn't blame him/her at all.

However, it's also somewhat more likely to possibly get a refund if this is dramatically different than a whole set of multiple other wedding shoots you were shown. Especially if it turns out that the reason the others were better was because they weren't the photographer's images... or they posted only good ones from other more skilled second shooters that temporarily worked for them, or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back