Problems in "unloading" film on a kiev-19

andremartins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello,

so, i've got this problem: i can't open the back part of the camera (where you load the film)...

So, the context of this problem is: i bought the Kiev-19 from eBay, and when i received it, i started "taking" pictures right away, because i thought there was a film already installed in the camera... i thought this because everything seemed to point to that fact (espeacially because the picture counter kept going, eveytime i "took" a photo)
So, when the counter gets to the 36th photo, and i thought that the film had ended, i tried to unload the film... i clicked in the tape transport mechanism release button, so that the back would open... but it didn't! i took some more photos and the counter was still in the 36th photo. i realized "oh well, there's no film inside!"

that was already disturbing enough, but then i tried "to move on" and focus on opening the back, putting a new film and forget about the 36 pictures i had already "taken"... but, the thing is that now i can't open the back... i keep clicking on the button, i keep pushing the back, and i can't get it open...

can someone tell me how to do so?
i suspect something got locked inside the camera, due to the fact of me being "taking" pictures without a film inside...

Pull up on the rewind knob

As a previous owner of Kiev-88 (120 film camera), I found the removable film backs notoriously hard to open to point I thought it was broke. After several minutes of gentle pressure and hard cursing, I managed to get it open. Apparently it seems to be common for the Kievs. They are nice cameras, but a bit finicky.

The manual posted above does say there is 'tape transport mechanism release' #22, but there is no actual diagram to point out what that is.

there's no use in doing that... there's no film inside the camera, and i've already moved it around, thinking that it would "click" or something, but nothing happaned...

As a previous owner of Kiev-88 (120 film camera)
you've used the kiev-88? Oh, i've got respect for you ^^

After several minutes of gentle pressure and hard cursing, I managed to get it open.

i tried bu the hard way to open it, but i simpy can't... even though i'm not that strong, i believe that the hard i pushed was enough to open it, if it was to be opened like that

The manual posted above does say there is 'tape transport mechanism release' #22, but there is no actual diagram to point out what that is.
i've got the manual where there's the diagram... it points to a button that there is under the camera... this button gets depressed everytime i "take" a photo. when i try to open the back i usually click on it (but i've also tried to open the back without the button being pressed), like it says in the manual to do... and, still i can't open it :S

Did you pull up on the rewind knob?

there's no use in doing that... there's no film inside the camera, and i've already moved it around, thinking that it would "click" or something, but nothing happaned...

To quote from the manual:
"4.2. CAMERA LOADING
Pull up rewinding knob 9."

Pulling up on the knob releases the body latch. The little button you have been pressing releases the double exposure prevention

To quote from the manual:
"4.2. CAMERA LOADING
Pull up rewinding knob 9."

Pulling up on the knob releases the body latch. The little button you have been pressing releases the double exposure prevention

Oh, it opened!
ah, this easy? i feel stupid for not having figuring this out sooner... thank you guys . ^^
(now, i'm going to load the film, and take the 1st photograph of this page... just to remember that were you guys who helped me with this stupid problem" *happy*

Not a big deal. The pull-up rewind knob is standard operating procedure for almost every 35mm made up until the late 80's. Both my Nikons work like that film or no film.

Most reactions

Back