Problems with New 5D

ckphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One week ago I received a new 5D. I put my 50mm prime lens on and away I went. This weekend I put on my Tamron and then Sigma (wide angle lens) and with both of them I got this very definite black circle around my pictures and you can see it when I look through the viewfinder. Can anyone help me figure out why that is?

At the same time I thought the 5D (from all the reviews) said that it had an ISO speed of 50-3200. My camera only reads 100-1600.

Am I being a moron about this (don't answer that) or are there problems with the camera?

Cindy

For the first issue, it sounds like the Tamron and Sigma were specifically made to an EF-S specification rather than an EF. In other words, Canon's two lower SLR bodies have a cropped sensor that's smaller than a full-frame like the 5D. Because of the cropped sensor, the lenses don't have to get the light spread evenly across such a large area, and hence are generally cheaper to make. The downside is that when you stick these lenses on a full-frame camera body, you will get significant vignetting (that's what the black around the edges is called) because the lens simply wasn't designed to work well with those detectors. This is why even though I have a 350D camera, I'm only buying EF lenses so that when I upgrade to a full-frame body, I will not have to buy all-new lenses.

The ISO issue is something completely separate. You'd need to talk with someone who actually owns the camera or (gasp!) look in the manual. I think it has to do with Canon considering the ISO 50 and 3200 an "extended" range and so there's an extra switch to flip or option to select to enable those.

Research pays off, now you need buy new lenses..

Your Tamron lens is a "Di-II" lens, designed for the smaller APS-C size sensor. Your Sigma lens is a "DC" lens, designed for the smaller APS-C size sensor. The same is true for Tokina's "DX" lenses and Canon's EF-S lenses, except that EF-S lenses are physically incompatible with the EF mount on your EOS 5D camera.

The good news is that you get to shop for some new lenses.

If you still have the old camera, you can still use the Tamron and the Sigma lenses with the old camera. If you already get rid of the old camera, you may need to sell your lenses as well and buy the one that works with the full frame camera.

Welcome to the forum.

The previous posts have nailed your problems. Those lenses were designed for cameras with smaller sensors and the extended ISO range can be turned on with one of the Custom Functions.

Question out of curiosity as I have never owned an EF-S canon.

Is there any risk of damage to lens or camera if you shoot an EF-S/digital cropped lens on a full frame (ie mirror damage/electronics)? In a pinch, could you shoot and just crop out the heavy vignetting? (IQ degradation introduced during crop put aside)

Is there any risk of damage to lens or camera if you shoot an EF-S/digital cropped lens on a full frame (ie mirror damage/electronics)? In a pinch, could you shoot and just crop out the heavy vignetting? (IQ degradation introduced during crop put aside)

You can knock the focusing screen out, which can be popperd back in.

The problem is that the lenses he has are probably EF mount lenses, they just are EF mount for APS-C Canon (which are 95% EF-S mount) cameras. I definitely see where there could be confusion.

I put a Sigma 10-20 on a 5D MKII and it looks like a traditional 180 fisheye with the image circle completely visible within the frame. But the Sigma 10-20 is an EF mount lens.

Another question kinda related to this post:
Are there any disadvantage to put a full-frame lens (like the L series lenses) on a cropped-sensor body? Does it still work the lens to its full potential?

Thank you for all of the helpful replies. I did look under custom functions last night (I do read my manual) but didn't spend significant time on it. I will look more into it today when I arrive home.

Another question kinda related to this post:
Are there any disadvantage to put a full-frame lens (like the L series lenses) on a cropped-sensor body? Does it still work the lens to its full potential?
All 'EF' lenses have 'full frame' coverage and yes, they work just fine on crop bodies. Actually, the are probably at their best on crop bodies because you are essentially cropping off the edges, and the edges are usually the worst areas in terms of image quality from a lens.

I believe the rear element on some EF-S lenses can cause interference with the mirror movement. So you can get away with it by locking up the mirror, then fully installing the lens...you can google the technique.

I know a very good wedding photographer who hacked his EF-S 10-22mm so that it does mount any EOS body and he uses it quite a bit with his 1Ds and 1D bodies. It's a super wide view but does have some vignetting. He really likes the optical qualities of the lens, especially it's flare characteristics.

EF-S lenses won't even mount on an EF body, I tried once, to get the same look as Nikon's DX lenses on full frame. The rear element is too recessed, and doesn't clear the mirror box.

Is there any risk of damage to lens or camera if you shoot an EF-S/digital cropped lens on a full frame (ie mirror damage/electronics)?

I don't think it's even possible. I only own one EF-S lens, but it will not mount to a full frame body (I tried).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back