Processed film came out blank? Nikon F-501

If you shot a perfect roll of black and white film and they processed it in colour chemistry you will get a completely blank result.

I don't know anything about developing, but is that true? I didn't know there was a difference between developing the two (makes sense though); I sent a B&W roll to be developed today and it was completely transparent (no brand markings to begin with). I was baffled, and my other roll (colour) came out fine, so I didn't know what I did, but I should now assume it was the developer's fault?

I sent a B&W roll to be developed today and it was completely transparent (no brand markings to begin with). I was baffled, and my other roll (colour) came out fine, so I didn't know what I did, but I should now assume it was the developer's fault?

Maybe maybe not there are a few types of B&W film that are made to be developed in color chemistry.
What type of B&W film was it?

Maybe maybe not there are a few types of B&W film that are made to be developed in color chemistry. What type of B&W film was it?

Ilford hp5.
They said they do b&w (not as often) and hadn't had this happen, but they also couldn't explain it (the girl I was dealing with didn't seem to know a whole lot about film). They did explain they've a different process( or maybe setup) for b&w.
This was my first time with b&w, so I didn't think to ask anything. I'd love to know more next time I go in.

Maybe maybe not there are a few types of B&W film that are made to be developed in color chemistry. What type of B&W film was it?

Ilford hp5.
They said they do b&w (not as often) and hadn't had this happen, but they also couldn't explain it (the girl I was dealing with didn't seem to know a whole lot about film). They did explain they've a different process( or maybe setup) for b&w.
This was my first time with b&w, so I didn't think to ask anything. I'd love to know more next time I go in.

Hp5 is standard B&W film.

Ether take your film to a place that actually knows about film or BETTER yet develop it YOURSELF.

Could you see frame numbers or anything on the negatives? From what you said it sounds like even those were gone which I've never had happen. I've managed to have part of a roll of film come back with some frames blank but I could read the numbers and the name Kodak or Ilford etc. (when I was first using a rangefinder I used to start taking pictures and then remember to make sure the lens cap was off! so I'd have some frames that hadn't been exposed).

The lab would have to change the machine for B&W chemistry and some places seem to do mostly color developing and might send out their B&W film elsewhere for processing. If you're interested in other options, Ilford just started doing mail order developing in the US and apparently are located where The Darkroom in San Clemente is (seems like they're sharing lab space). Other places that are supposed to have good reputations are Blue Moon in Oregon and Dwayne's in Kansas.

Hp5 is standard B&W film. Ether take your film to a place that actually knows about film or BETTER yet develop it YOURSELF.

If I ever get a new place, a darkroom of my own could be a possibility. No space right now!

Could you see frame numbers or anything on the negatives? From what you said it sounds like even those were gone which I've never had happen. I've managed to have part of a roll of film come back with some frames blank but I could read the numbers and the name Kodak or Ilford etc. (when I was first using a rangefinder I used to start taking pictures and then remember to make sure the lens cap was off! so I'd have some frames that hadn't been exposed). The lab would have to change the machine for B&W chemistry and some places seem to do mostly color developing and might send out their B&W film elsewhere for processing. If you're interested in other options, Ilford just started doing mail order developing in the US and apparently are located where The Darkroom in San Clemente is (seems like they're sharing lab space). Other places that are supposed to have good reputations are Blue Moon in Oregon and Dwayne's in Kansas.

There weren't any brands marks, but when I looked at my second (unused) roll, that one doesn't have markings either. So I guess Ilford hp4, or at least mine, were unbranded.

I don't live I the US, so unfortunately I can't take advantage of any services you guys have access to..

My colour roll turned out awesome (yay, the camera's in working condition!), but one shot (which was a shot of trees, which I took two others of, at different f-stop/ shutter combos) came out solid grey. What would've caused that? It's the first of three shots, which I took one after the other, so I'm not sure what would've done that.

Any ideas?

Hp5 is standard B&W film. Ether take your film to a place that actually knows about film or BETTER yet develop it YOURSELF.

If I ever get a new place, a darkroom of my own could be a possibility. No space right now!

It does not take a full darkroom to develop film. You can do it in the he bathroom or kitchen.

Could you see frame numbers or anything on the negatives? From what you said it sounds like even those were gone which I've never had happen. I've managed to have part of a roll of film come back with some frames blank but I could read the numbers and the name Kodak or Ilford etc. (when I was first using a rangefinder I used to start taking pictures and then remember to make sure the lens cap was off! so I'd have some frames that hadn't been exposed). The lab would have to change the machine for B&W chemistry and some places seem to do mostly color developing and might send out their B&W film elsewhere for processing. If you're interested in other options, Ilford just started doing mail order developing in the US and apparently are located where The Darkroom in San Clemente is (seems like they're sharing lab space). Other places that are supposed to have good reputations are Blue Moon in Oregon and Dwayne's in Kansas.

There weren't any brands marks, but when I looked at my second (unused) roll, that one doesn't have markings either. So I guess Ilford hp4, or at least mine, were unbranded.

I don't live I the US, so unfortunately I can't take advantage of any services you guys have access to..

My colour roll turned out awesome (yay, the camera's in working condition!), but one shot (which was a shot of trees, which I took two others of, at different f-stop/ shutter combos) came out solid grey. What would've caused that? It's the first of three shots, which I took one after the other, so I'm not sure what would've done that.

Any ideas?

If you list your location someone might know of a nearby lab. Or like I said develop the film yourself.

Any ideas?

If you live in the UK there are loads of good places to send your film

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

Back