Shooting expired film

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read that film loses one stop of its speed per 10 years of expiry... is this true? I am considering buying some old Kodachrome and shooting it.. and so long as the colors remain the same I can deal with the exposure compensation.

I have read that film loses one stop of its speed per 10 years of expiry... is this true? I am considering buying some old Kodachrome and shooting it.. and so long as the colors remain the same I can deal with the exposure compensation.

There is no set stop speed degradation on expired films.

Many things can contribute to the final usability of expired film. How it was stored, film type being the main ones.

The biggest thing I notice when looking at expired colored film photos is color shift.

How about with B&W? I've had a couple rolls I've been considering running through the FM2 but really trying to not waste money on developing them if it'd be a waste.

Many things can contribute to the final usability of expired film. How it was stored, film type being the main ones.

The biggest thing I notice when looking at expired colored film photos is color shift.

If it weren't $20 a roll for Kodachrome, I would use it for some Lomography :greenpbl:

If it weren't $20 a roll for Kodachrome, I would use it for some Lomography :greenpbl:

Is there even a way to get a color photo from Kodachrome? I've seen people develop it in B&W chemicals, and even that is apparently a pain in the ass.

OK, I found this:
Shooting Kodachrome Film in 2012

Still, that's a lot of crap you have to do just to use some old film. And it's doesn't even look that good as B&W either, IMO...

When Kodachrome it gets very magenta and is even hard to correct..... last I heard no one is processing it ....I have 3 rolls I found in a box a year ago that I think might be underwater stuff and the magenta would help it ...I think:)

Personally, I wouldn't waste money on Kodachrome now since you can't get it properly developed anywhere.. sad really..

How it was stored makes the big difference. I have some 10 year old film that has been iin the freezer it's whole time. I would have no problem using it at rated ASA If it had been stored in the car trunk I would throw it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back