product photography pricing

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My buddy works for a company that makes displays for everything from potato chips to auto shows. The company is looking to have a photographer come in to take pictures of some displays.

What does it cost to have a professional come in to take pictures? How would you give them pricing? by the hour, they buy the picture, etc. Im not a professional but they are impressed with the work they have seen. I wont ask near what a professional would ask.

Congratulations!! :)

Cool!

I really have no idea. I think it can vary quite a bit depending on where you live, anyway. I have a hard time figuring out my own pricing. I would see if you can get some info from local photographers. I don't think it would hurt to ask. The worst they will say is no, and some might be willing to help you figure it out.

This article is related to pricing in the Graphic design world. It could be too broad. Dont know if it might help you, but check it out!

I just got bad news. The company decided to buy a camera and give it a shot them selves. I hope they fail and call me.

Get this, they decided to spend HALF of what they were going to pay me and spend 2 GRAND on a D70. :shock:

I almost got offered 4 grand...

excuse me Im going to go cry. :sad anim:

That sux!!! :?

Only now they get to appreciate that it's not about how much they can drop on a camera, but the person behind the lens.

Idiots. Don't worry, their stuff is going to look like crap, snapshot appeal - and they may be calling you yet. Granted, the price just got severed in half. :x

I dislike ppl who does not have the balls to keep their word! :x

Dont you worry Graig... they might not be worthy enough to have your presence around.

Are you in the job (photography) market right now?

nope. Im a mechanical engineer. I do some photography jobs on the side. Done some family reunions, local bands, sports gatherings, things of the sort.

graigdavis said:
nope. Im a mechanical engineer. I do some photography jobs on the side. Done some family reunions, local bands, sports gatherings, things of the sort.

Cool; they can go take a hike !

graigdavis said:
I just got bad news. The company decided to buy a camera and give it a shot them selves. I hope they fail and call me.
That really sucks graig. I remember your pictures and they are really missing out by doing it themselves. I can relate because this also happens in graphic design. Instead of hiring someone to do it they just decide to do it themselves. They naturally assume that paying someone isn't worth the cost but the poor quality they end up with speaks for itself. Hopefully they do fail and end up calling you.

graigdavis said:
Get this, they decided to spend HALF of what they were going to pay me and spend 2 GRAND on a D70. :shock:
2 grand?? Either they are exaggerating or they got ripped off. The body itself costs $999. If they did spend 2 grand then it just shows they don't know much.

So when they come to you wanting you to do the shots for them after theirs look like disposable snapshots, you can price yourself at $1000 plus the D70 and equipment they just bought and can't use! :wink:

Get paid, and snag some new gear!!

drlynn said:
So when they come to you wanting you to do the shots for them after theirs look like disposable snapshots, you can price yourself at $1000 plus the D70 and equipment they just bought and can't use! :wink:

Get paid, and snag some new gear!!

That's exactly what I was thinking. :)

WiLL WorK FoR d70 :D

I have shot my friends D70 a lot and its not the easiest camera for someone to just pick up and take quality pictures. Im pretty sure Ill be getting a call from them. If not, oh well, who needs 2 grand ayway. :?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back