Product photography - suspending camera above the table

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm getting closer to my goal of being able to get involved with product photography and have some questions.

I'm attempting some product photography using my D500 with a 24-70mm and need some help. The products I'm shooting are balls and other things that roll, so I believe I need to position them on a flat table.
How can I safely support my camera and lens directly above the table to take the shot? I have a nice Manfrotto tripod. Is there a "boom" or extension arm that you would recommend that can support this weight safely, or is there a proper way to do it?

I have a Manfrotto 190 with a ball head. I was thinking of the Manfrotto 196B-2 2-section articulated arm with camera bracket, but I don't feel it would be sturdy enough.

Of course I could just hold the camera, but I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to be exactly 90-degrees perpendicular to the table, resulting in some kind of distortion.

Since they're balls and other individual items, I can't stand them up, which means I can't use a lightbox or other product table with a sweep.

How large are the balls? And is this a one time deal? Do you have a step ladder? Take your tripod and securely attach the legs across the step ladder. If necessary add some counterweight to the opposite side of the ladder.

No ladder. If the balls are small enough secure your tripod across a table and shoot the balls on the floor. A kitchen table would be higher than that copy stand from the floor. Or a counter top. Lots of options. Just make sure your tripod is secure.

The ladder idea is a great one. I can make that work.

What do you recommend I use for a white background? I was thinking some type of flexible plexiglass or acrylic, but don't know where I'd find something like that. I also need to create some type of shadow to give it perspective. Putting this all on the floor might make that more difficult.

Oh, forgot to mention the balls are the size of tennis balls. There are six in a bag. These are various dog toys, including mini bones, noise makers, etc. All stuff you'd find hanging on the pegboard shelves at Petco.

I would use just plain white paper if you have large enough size. If not a white cloth with a close weave. Stretch it tight so no wrinkles. Also you can raise the balls by using a tube about 1/2 size of the balls. Secure the tube to a base. Cut a neat hole for the tube in your background.

I use this > Delta 1 CS6 Jr Camera Stand 6' 902 B&H Photo Video

If necessary, for more reach I just add a longer arm made out of wood :)

For the background anything smooth and white > foam core/white fabric with a glass on top/seamless paper. It should be lit separately.

You can use window putty to raise and keep the balls in place.

Cheers, Don

Not being exactly perpendicular to the table won't cause distortion. Close enough is good enough.

What do you recommend I use for a white background? I was thinking some type of flexible plexiglass or acrylic

Depends on what you want the look to be. You can get plexiglass at any of the big box home improvement stores, or you can pick up a "poster frame" at walmart for cheap and use the plexi in that. If you put black foam core under it, you'll get some nice reflections of the balls. I've never used white under the plexiglass, so I'm not sure what you would get.

I was thinking some type of flexible plexiglass or acrylic, ..
I think that would introduce reflections that you don't need. Get a roll of white paper. The tube base idea is a very good one. Cut short pieces of cardboard tubes (as you find them) or plastic tubing to hold the balls from rolling off. No matter how "level" you make the table, they're going to start rolling.

If the Manfrotto boom arm doesn't look sturdy enough to you, use something else.

THIS A small dot not visible to the camera and you are good. No need to get crazy with hanging out overhead.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If they are only tennisball sized I'd get some doublesided sticky tape or blue tack or similar. Then just pin the balls to the plexiglass or other surface that you're using and move that surface in line with the camera. Keeps the camera on level ground; avoids risks of ladders and such; and is a lot cheaper.

Hi, I'm getting closer to my goal of being able to get involved with product photography and have some questions.

I'm attempting some product photography using my D500 with a 24-70mm and need some help. The products I'm shooting are balls and other things that roll, so I believe I need to position them on a flat table.
How can I safely support my camera and lens directly above the table to take the shot? I have a nice Manfrotto tripod. Is there a "boom" or extension arm that you would recommend that can support this weight safely, or is there a proper way to do it?

I have a Manfrotto 190 with a ball head. I was thinking of the Manfrotto 196B-2 2-section articulated arm with camera bracket, but I don't feel it would be sturdy enough.

Of course I could just hold the camera, but I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to be exactly 90-degrees perpendicular to the table, resulting in some kind of distortion.

Since they're balls and other individual items, I can't stand them up, which means I can't use a lightbox or other product table with a sweep.

I once was taking a few hundred photos of an old ledger, faster than scanning, and I adapted a microphone stand, they were all overhead shots.

Anyway what I did was take centre column/neck of my tripod and fitted it into the piece that would normally hold the microphone, attached my camera to the head and that was it. It may not be suitable for you in this case but there it is. Just double check the secureness before hand.

toilet roll cardboard tubes. You should have some laying around, or have the ability to have some laying around.

Cut a small part off to prevent the balls from rolling around. Can form to other shapes too (square, etc).
Make them thin to not be seen or taller.

You can find tripod boom arms. Oddly, the last time I did something like this I used my Studio Flash boom for it too. Smaller base to not trip off and counter weighted, remote released and put the camera right where you want it. Once it's placed right then remote released.

Thank you all for your amazing feedback. I finally purchased a small lighting kit and set it all up in my living room with a table. Considering this was an older thread with a few tangents, I thought I would post a new thread. I'd appreciate it if you would review and tell me what you think.

Product photography - review please

Most reactions

Back