What's new

Progression Since My Last

MatchlessArts

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Messages
413
Reaction score
83
Ok, after all your tips I have toned down the exposure and came up with these.

What do you all think?

7183198091_1223d4c1c2_c.jpg


7183186755_79bdb1b25e_c.jpg


7368407596_6d38b104f0_c.jpg


7368405726_efe1e7fd71_c.jpg


7183177977_90e112afac_c.jpg


7368420610_b14dface49_c.jpg


7183193063_8c8f6bb490_c.jpg


Let me know, any tips or corrections you guys can think of. This is a learning exp for me.
 
Your processing has some issues... the little girls skin / skin tones look terrible. #2 aand #6 are reasonably ok (please number your shots!). #5 looks way too cyan / blue, and the faces are fried... looks like you tweaked the contrast.

Please post the originals.. and the Exif data.. so we can see what is going on here...

After having seen several shots from you this way.. I STRONGLY suspect you need to calibrate your monitor. If you are using a laptop, get a standalone monitor for it.. and calibrate that
 
Work on compositional placement first before the rest of the technical areas such as exposure, focal length, etc. Almost all of these photos are centered.

If you could, please number your photos in the threads you create so we can reference them easier as well. The second to last photo has a lot of dead space to the left not contributing to the photo in any regard and the subject is so close to the edge looking out of frame. A photo tells a story (or it should). What would be the story here? Perhaps if there were some creepy looking dude OOF in the dead space, the subject being close to the edge may actually work as it could convey the message he is trying to get away from the "weirdo". I hope I'm not confusing anyone.

Generally if you have space in the photo, you want the subject gazing in the direction (if you're into having the subject not looking directly at the camera such as I do).

Also, I noticed a lot of the horizons are angled in these shots. If this is something you're going for, make sure that the photo becomes enhanced by doing so. While others may disagree, I do actually like the tilted horizon for photo two. This is the best photo in this thread. Keep shooting, you already do better people photography than I do. I just can't seem to do humans justice. I suppose I just need to practice. If you practice more, I will practice more.

Thank you for sharing these with us. Good luck in your further progression.
 
Most of these have really harsh light. If you don't have a flash to use for fill light, you can use a large piece of poster board as a reflector. If it isn't reflecting enough, just glue some aluminum foil on it. Very cheap and effective solution.
 
Thanks guys. Back to the editing room and I will post originals
 
I really like the subjects in your images; but the lighting.......i suggest one thing; avoid shooting in direct sunlight; the problems of shadows-which is a vital problem in human portraits- can be avoided. As already pointed out you may please avoid keeping the person in the center of the frame and also viewing away towards the wrong side(the boy)Compared to previous set these images are far betterYou don't have to worry...you are working on one of the most difficult side of photography-human portraits and head shots. I am good for nothing there ;)
 
The little girl is adorable.. To add what the others have said, her eyes look a little over processed...IMO.
 
man match...that was a tough one. This is the best I could come up with while practicing on your first image. I'm quite curious as to the original as well as what you did post...


$7183198091_1223d4c1c2_c-1.webp
 
well...that's really weird. How it looks there in the post is not at all how it looks on my computer in photoshop or preview on windows explorer....wth?


Does that have anything to do with changing my color management back to adobe RGB (1998)? in photoshop there is more color and her skin is not like that that is showing in the thread...it has more color to it and not as dark.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom