Promaster and Vivitar lens

Maxxum5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
any good ?? both promaster and Vivitar looks same !.. why promasters are more expensive ??

It depends. Neither brand makes their own lenses. I understand that most if not all Promasters are Sigma. I am not sure who is making Vivitar these days. Most likely Sigma as well.

jstuedle said:
It depends. Neither brand makes their own lenses. I understand that most if not all Promasters are Sigma. I am not sure who is making Vivitar these days. Most likely Sigma as well.

Last I heard from the local (cough) "Pro" shop (cough) was that ProMaster lens were made by Tamron. Course I take most of what that one shop tells me with a grain of salt. They've moved to more of a Best Buy type store and most sales people there can't tell you what an f stop is. I get a kick asking them how fast a lens is on their shelf.

They do feel like a cheap Tamron but who knows.:scratch:

Comparing pictures on promaster.com and thkphoto.com it looks like the 12-24mm f/4 lenses are identical, gold ring and all. On the other hand, the 19-35mm lens from promaster looks like a silver finished version of the 19-35mm lens from tamron.com. Perhaps its a mixture.

If buying a "third party" lens, I would stay away from the store brands and the like. Maybe we could call these "fourth party" lenses. :) I think it would be more wise to buy the Sigma/Tamron/Tokina versions and deal with them if there are any warranty concerns. I have always wondered if the store brands get the after-market manufacturers "seconds". Just a thought.

Most reactions

Back