Proposal/Engagement shoot

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot a proposal for a client this past Friday. It was put together very late, as in only hours before the event. The proposal itself was not terribly glamorous, but the location was very pretty and special to them. Both are into hiking and it was at a state park they visit often. This of course meant they were in hiking attire as a request for nicer clothes would have tipped her off. Also complicating the matter was that the bride to be was adamant at the last minute they were going to bring their two dogs. That also meant his black shirt was covered in dog hair... He then jumped the gun a tad and she was not in a great position at the moment he popped the question.. It made for a complicated and chaotic, yet memorable, proposal. And she said yes! I will be doing a more formal engagement session for them down the road. These are my favorites. C&C always appreciated.

Last edited:
great set! this is personal preference, but i wouldnt mind seeing a bit more warmth out of the WB.

a very nice set.
although im not feeling the horizontal crop on 5 and 6. i guess im just partial to portrait crop, although the wider crop works great in #3 and #4.

Turned out nicely!
Thanks Darrel!

great set! this is personal preference, but i wouldnt mind seeing a bit more warmth out of the WB.
Thanks Braineack! WB is honestly something I always struggle with. I set the WB. Stare at it. Adjust the slider and think to myself, "that looks good." Walk away. Come back. Look again and not like it. Adjust the slider back to where it was. And repeat, never really feeling like I nailed it... Sometimes I just convert to B&W and call it a day... I'll probably take another look at the WB on the whole set before delivering the images. I appreciate the suggestion.

a very nice set.
although im not feeling the horizontal crop on 5 and 6. i guess im just partial to portrait crop, although the wider crop works great in #3 and #4.
Thanks! This is a common critique with my style. For some reason I actually tend to gravitate to horizontal in portraits like 5 and 6. You're certainly not the first to mention it to me. I think I like it because it incorporates more of the background, especially when working with wider focal lengths at shorter distances? Or maybe I need to rotate the camera more often..

Turned out nicely!
Thanks Darrel!

Thanks Braineack! WB is honestly something I always struggle with. I set the WB. Stare at it. Adjust the slider and think to myself, "that looks good." Walk away. Come back. Look again and not like it. Adjust the slider back to where it was. And repeat, never really feeling like I nailed it... Sometimes I just convert to B&W and call it a day... I'll probably take another look at the WB on the whole set before delivering the images. I appreciate the suggestion.

a very nice set.
Thanks! This is a common critique with my style. For some reason I actually tend to gravitate to horizontal in portraits like 5 and 6. You're certainly not the first to mention it to me. I think I like it because it incorporates more of the background, especially when working with wider focal lengths at shorter distances? Or maybe I need to rotate the camera more often..

i think it has a lot to do with personal preference. I absolutlely see why you chose horizontal to have the rocks in view, im just overly partial to tall crops.

Turned out nicely!
Thanks Darrel!

a very nice set.

i think it has a lot to do with personal preference. I absolutlely see why you chose horizontal to have the rocks in view, im just overly partial to tall crops.
So you like your photos how I like my women? :biggrin-93:

I'd be around here.

I added "+5" to WB. then dropped the blacks ever so slightly, added a bump in exposure, and added a lot of vibrance.

upload_2017-7-31_17-40-37.png

Last edited:

I'd be around here.

I added "5". then dropped the blacks ever so slightly, added a bump in exposure, and added a lot of vibrance.

View attachment 144342
Made a notable difference. Thanks for the edit.

a request for nicer clothes would have tipped her off.
And a hired photographer didn't tip her off? Or were you hired to lurk in the woods? This sounds like a fun and interesting job.

a request for nicer clothes would have tipped her off.
And a hired photographer didn't tip her off? Or were you hired to lurk in the woods? This sounds like a fun and interesting job.
Haha, all the plans were made only through him, so she was unaware and had no idea what I looked like! He just told me, "I want to propose and I want it photographed." I asked him a series of questions about their likes and dislikes of things to do together and presented him with a few options, letting him choose the final plan. I ultimately made all the arrangements and plans because he was at a loss. I just sat on the rocks and marked his spot with a predetermined object I left a few boulders down after scoping out my spot. It was a bit of a challenge to pretend like I was shooting birds as they walked by... I just kept looking up at the trees, periodically saying, "Oh, there's one" under my breath and taking photos of tree branches, while still watching them out of the corner of my eye until the moment I was needed...

Wow! Hiring a photographer to also PLAN the proposal... You could add that to your resume, if only there were a market for it.

Wow! Hiring a photographer to also PLAN the proposal... You could add that to your resume, if only there were a market for it.
I should averts it as my "worry free proposal package!" Just buy a ring and show up!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back