Pros & Cons of Manuf. Refurbished Camera Bodies

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I were to consider getting a full-frame camera body that was refurbished by the manufacturer, what would I be giving up, besides the new-camera warranty? Some of the pros and cons of buying refurbished would help me a great deal.

Thanks,

Jim

Refurb. Pros:
1. Less expensive than the new item.
2. Warranted by manufacturer.
3. Each item has been inspected (quality control).
4. "Bugs" worked out (a la Nikon D600 sensor oil).

Refurb Cons:
1. Warranty is not as long as with new items.
2. If shutters are not replaced in a refurb (I don't know), then you have a lower shutter life.
3. Doesn't have that new camera smell*.
4, The buyer isn't supporting \the global economy as mush due to paying less*.

* (said with tongue in cheek)

I would purchase that way.

(edit) The reason I have not yet is due to my being generally unaware of the option when I was first shopping for a camera. I have bought used lenses and other gear.

Last edited:
My 7100, 800 and D4s are all Nikon refurbs. Never had an issue with any of them.

Pro: Each and ever body is handled by a human and checked over. If something is not up to specs, it's taken care of.

NIB bodies are mass-produced, assembly-line products. While human hands had a part in putting them together, they are not individually tested as refurbs are. As such, manufacturing errors can be found and you end up with a lemon that needs to be exchanged.

I haven't purchased a body this way, but I've purchased two Canon refurb'd lenses w/ zero problems. I think the big benefit in my mind is that you're getting a product that's been inspected / fixed / adjusted etc., by an actual human being who (I trust) knows what he's looking at and how to address any issues at a price that's pretty competitive with a used lens price. Not a bad deal, in my mind.

I bought the following used or reman:

d600 (refurb)
d5100 (used)
sb700 (refurb)
yn560 (used)
55-300 (refurb)
70-300 (used)
85 1.8g (used)
24-70 2.8 (used)
70-200 2.8 (used)
10-24 (used)

Last edited:
Refurbs give you that new camera feeling, but without all that spousal complaining.

You might weanna' jump on those Nikon-offered refurb deals TODAY. The offer period was Oct 24-26.

Also keep in mind that some refurbs/used are actually brand new. If someone orders an item and decides later they don't want it the manufacturer must sell the item as used even if the box was not opened. Once an item leaves their dock it cannot be sold as new product even if the shipper returns it to them as undeliverable or refused.

Last edited:
You might weanna' jump on those Nikon-offered refurb deals TODAY. The offer period was Oct 24-26.
I didn't realize the discount offer was going to expire so soon. I actually added the D810 to the shopping cart to see what the total would be before I started this topic. When I discovered you couldn't put the purchase on more than one card, like you can at B&H, I just kept my fingers (and toes) crossed hoping the camera would still be available by the time I could get all my funds in one basket on Monday. In the mean time, I thought about asking all of you for opinions on refurbished cameras, thinking, if you thought it a bad idea, I could just empty the shopping cart and get the D750, like I had originally planned.

I'm blessed with a friend and client that offered to help me out... after I dropped a heavy hint. ;) So, I have a refurbished D810 waiting to be sent on its way to me. :D

Jim

Refurb has been gone over with a fine tooth comb. I have no reservations what so ever.

Search Amazon for the used body you're looking for and many of them are brand new, just returned and "open box". A good deal if you are getting a significant price cut. But many here are suggesting that since the camera has been "inspected" that it is better than new. That doesn't make sense to me. I have never had a new body fail and if it did I wouldn't worry at all about the problem being rectified.

I buy new bodies and used lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back