Protective filter advice?

llamallama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just recently bought the Nikon 85 1.8D but the hood was not included. I always attach hoods to my lenses for protection but when I looked up the hoods online they were quite overpriced. I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion for a protective filter which would not increase flare? Thanks!

It should not be hard to find a third-party hood.

i just bought 5 vented hoods off of Ebay in sizes from 39mm through to 58mm. Metal, work fine. $26 shipped for the lot.

If you want a hood for protection, one for a 50mm lens will be just fine on an 85mm. I even use a Canon hood on my Nikkor 8.5cm f2. 48mm is 48mm.

Soft, collapsible rubber screw-in shades work fine as well. Camera store junk bins, e-Bay, etc.etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
A high quality filter will cost more than a lens hood. I use Nikon NC glass on my Nikkor lenses, but you should definitely have a hood before a protective element.

Would this hood work? 62mm Screw Mount Standard Metal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Pentax Sony Olympus | eBay
Sorry, I'm just not too familiar with screw in hoods.

That should be fine- For a screw-in accessory, you need to match diameter and "pitch", the size and spacing of the threads. Filter thread "pitch" on Nikons are standard. The one you show will work fine.

Rubber hoods collapse, protect, and some "uncollapse" to different depths for different focal lengths.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy the lens new, or was it used? If it is new, the lens hood is supposed to be included, from what I see on B&H and Adorama. Contact whoever you bought the lens from and have them send you a hood. If they refuse, return the lens and buy it from someone else (the last part may be a bit drastic).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back