Protective filter?

ChrisJuliano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Welll I was just wondering since I will be shooting (no pun intended) alot of airsoft games. And at the CQB facility I play there are some kids who will shoot anything who moves. So I was wondering if there is some sort of filter that is made to protect lens? It would have to be able to take some pretty hard hits of 400 fps with .25s.

Help is apprecaited.

You are kidding right?

400FPS... leave the camera at home, or bring a plastic disposable. You'd need a 1 inch thick plate of plexi-glass between them and your lens... lol

Its with .25 gram bbs, which is about enough if hit bare skin you will bleed but it wont go in.

3mm of plexi glass would break, 6mm would probably be good, but I think it would effect my picture quality.

Is there any sort of filter thats cheap and is made to protect lens?

3mm of plexi glass would break, 6mm would probably be good, but I think it would effect my picture quality.

Is there any sort of filter thats cheap and is made to protect lens?

None that I know of, and seriously, as a kid I used to go to junk yards and break car windows from 30-40 feet away with a home made slingshot and small bb pellets and it could do nowhere near 400 FPS. You'd need more than 6mm (car windows are a lot more than that and I shattered those NO problem with something less powerful).

Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Lol I been airsofting for a few years with high end guns.

I have been shot thousands of times literally haha, a 400 fps .25g AEG cant break a car window.

Slingshots shoot metal pelets that weight alot more then .25g, thats why yours broke car windows.

If I shot a window of a old garage it would splinter but not shatter. 400 FPS with .25s isnt to much, so something has to be made that could take these shots.
So I am thinking there has to be some sort of protection.

i figured that a bb does this much force on an object:
0.00685217659 pounds of force...
Althought the BB is small, how much damage do you think 0.00685217659 pounds using the size of a bb? i dunno :| lol

BTW, im no math guru, its probably wrong :p

There's nothing commercial that I know of, but if 6mm plexiglass can withstand it, you could get a sheet, bend it in a curve with a straight bit at the front to photograph through, and then mount it onto the camera via the tripod mount and using a metal bracket.

Just have to support the camera on the shield and not theother way around or the shield may rip the tripod mount out of the camera.

Actually thats a good idea Garbs. Like a shield for the entire camera you mean?

This would effect the quality though alot because flash would give a glare I am guessing.

I use poopy onboard flash.

best thing I can think of would be to take a filter or something that you can find and set it up in a frame and shoot it. Do that prior to actually putting it on your camera. I wouldn't trust it pretty much no matter what, but if you're determined to do it, then find a filter or something and test it's strength.

Well I dont want to spend $20 on a filter then shoot and and have it shatter ha.

I only work 2-8 days a month so I only make around $120 a per month. And airsoft itself takes many thousands of my income and I am still wanting lots of things.
Im 17 lol.

Sorry for double posting. I really messed up my arm and have a game saturday, so I think I will go and take pics. Its a indoor facility and most is realllly close range stuff.

So I was wondering, would a 50mm be a poor choice? And mesh is used for goggles, so could I possible make a mesh cover? Or would that make quality of pics horrible.

A 50mm to be would be too wide.

Also, mesh would cause your AF to flip out and it would probably try and focus on he mesh.

I use a d40 so manual focus ha.

And there are alot of rooms and stuff that I could stay in, plus theres a few stair wells and windows and other things.

So if I could be about 10-15 feet away and get a full body shot would my 50mm allow that? Or would I need to be further away then 10-15 feet.

You could get a full body shot at 50mm, or like 75mm on a crop body from 10-15 feet. In the crouch position yes, maybe not standing up.

At 12'-0" with a 50mm lens, you can get approximately a 3/4 body shot. The feet will be cut off. At 15'-0", you can get a full body shot. This will give you both head and foot room in your comp. Tested on me, I stand 5'-9" tall. (gawd....I have shrunk.....where the hell is Rick Moranis and can I kick his a$$?)

Most reactions

Back