Psycho...

3 hours in the UK is a lot further than 3 hours in BC, John ... especially as it involves driving through central London

Funny how driving habits are different. 3 hrs driving is nothing here. Back when I traveled a lot, I would drive the 130 miles from my house to the Atlanta Airport on flights going east or north because it was quicker (just over 2hrs). It's 6-7 hrs to the coast and 4 hrs to the Smokies. Again we don't really think of it as a chore.

3 hours in the UK is a lot further than 3 hours in BC, John ... especially as it involves driving through central London

Funny how driving habits are different. 3 hrs driving is nothing here. Back when I traveled a lot, I would drive the 130 miles from my house to the Atlanta Airport on flights going east or north because it was quicker (just over 2hrs). It's 6-7 hrs to the coast and 4 hrs to the Smokies. Again we don't really think of it as a chore.

I recently visited my brother in Namibia and they have a similar attitude to yours. While I was there we regularly drove for 4 or 5 hours (sometimes more) between destinations and sometimes that was on dirt tracks and gravel roads... but much of the time there was very little traffic on the road (mostly straight as an arrow) and the only things you had to watch out for were zebras, kudu and warthogs. Here the roads are relatively congested even in the rural areas and it is more tiring. Country roads wander all over the points of the compass and even on motorways cruise control is a waste of time. I find driving in London to be a nightmare. It takes 3 hours from here to London on busy roads (brake, speed up, change lanes, avoid that crazy truck driver, get stuck behind an under powered car pulling a too big trailer, travel through 3 miles of roadworks at 5mph, etc., etc.) then you hit London and it's not unusual take another 2 hours to do the last 20 miles. One time I was traveling home from a funeral in London and it took 3 hours just to get off the M25 London orbital and onto the motorway. Another time I was driving my daughter to Heathrow airport and a journey with a theoretical time of two hours forty five minutes took five and a half hours (she still made her flight).
We have 65 million people in a country the size of Oregon or Michigan with a road system that was developed in the days of the horse and cart. Older roads tends to wind between property boundaries and from village to village rather than follow straight lines or any form of logic. :D

They all look great! :)

Most reactions

Back