Public shooting spree

Scarecrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
zacks.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all Im new at the people capturing but I dont wanna do portraits I wanna try real life candid on the spot shots. I just am not in this day and age people would take to walking round and seeing a stranger snapping pictures of them. Have any of you guys done this before and how do I go about not being seen as a stalker or potential perv???

I usually ask them before .. Present myself to them by name and what I'm doing and maybe pose for a portrait or ask them to just keep doing whatever they are doing and I'll come back to show them some shots in 5 minutes or something like that.. They quickly forget you're taking photos of them and you get natural shots.

I it's a public place you can of course just shoot your photos and walk away, but if the people is the main attraction in your photo (like a portrait) you have to ask them before publishing it or putting it online I think (at least where I'm from).

In the US, there is no expectation of privacy in public areas and one can just snap away. Of course there is the issue of people's reaction but that is manageable.
I shoot a lot of people in publichttp://lewlortonphoto.com/f988460868 and I often go to situations, like demonstrations, where people want/expect to be photographed.
I just acquired an 4/3 camera to see if photography in public is easier with that tiny thing than a big hulking glass and metal brute.

From what I could find there seems to be both a strict sense of personal privacy and a total lack of laws about photography in Japan as long as you are not shooting blatantly indecent shots up skirts, etc.

You cant have this attitude and go take photos like this. If you think it is weird then it will be weird and you will be a weirdo. Once you get over that I would recommend you go try at that time.

Most reactions

Back