Puddle of sky - Constructive criticism, please?

chloe_digiscrap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I grabbed this shot of the sky's reflection in a puddle.

$puddle-of-sky.jpg

I like the idea, but I'm not satisfied with the result. I don't know if it's because the reflection is in focus when the ground isn't, or what, but something feels wrong. CC, pretty please?

the shot doesn't seem entirely interesting to me, but I cant pin down whether it is just the subject matter in general, or the out of focus ground around the puddle, or the small patch of green in the top right corner that seems to be off on its own. I can however, say with some certainty, that your watermark with the line going across the photo is very distracting.

Zoom in for more puddle
Eliminate tree reflection through choice of angle
Focus on ground not sky (getting it all in focus works too)
Boost the blue

Crop it so the ground is more of a frame. Right now it takes up way too much of the photo for being out of focus.

Here's a quick and dirty edited on my iPad.
$image.jpg

the shot doesn't seem entirely interesting to me, but I cant pin down whether it is just the subject matter in general, or the out of focus ground around the puddle, or the small patch of green in the top right corner that seems to be off on its own. I can however, say with some certainty, that your watermark with the line going across the photo is very distracting.

Ah, I didn't notice about the green corner. See, that's why I wanted a new eye on this. Let's try it again with a tighter crop (and a not-as-bright watermark):

$puddle-of-sky2.jpg

Quite similar to the crop you did, Tony, though yours is even more square. I think it's still pretty boring, though, I guess it wasn't a great shot to begin with even if I still like the idea. :lol: Maybe I should work on reflection with a lake instead of a puddle!
Globeglimpser, I should have tried to only have sky in my reflection, and have the ground in focus as well. I'll see if I can go back there tomorrow and take some new shots with that in mind.

Last edited:
$puddle-of-sky.jpg

This might suck? Idk im sleep, eyes are half shut lol.

I think it's a nice idea just needed more of a pop.

Now that I look at mine it's way too blue?

But I must say the original crop looks better, too me atleast. :thumbup:

Haya, it's a bit cold indeed, and a bit too dark for my taste, but that has the advantage of "deleting" the green corner and the out-of-focusness of the ground doesn't show as much either, so it helps.

It's not "wrong", it just isn't fully realized. The first thing I would try is to attempt to get more contrast in the cloud reflection. The second thing is to crop the green plants in the upper right corner. And your watermark is a distraction. If you think you must watermark, put something very small and unobtrusive in one corner.

You are both right, the reflection is not interesting enough / doesn't stand out enough to make this pic work. I'll pay more attention next time!! Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back