Purchasing a Nikon today, but....

dan.rpo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So today is my purchasing day, yay!....But im still in one last pickle...the Nikon D40 or D40x? is it worth it to spend the extra $50 or so to jump up the MP and a couple other minor features? MP didnt really matter to me at first, because i am not going to be making 4 by 5 foot prints anytime soon, however, i thought for the extra $50 it may come in handy in the future....?

depends on how broke u are..if you can afford it go for it...otherwise dont worry about it too much, or even look into buying a used d40x and get it even cheaper then a new d40.

agreed -- though note that they improved other things besides the MP - FPS is boosted as well as a few other adjustments.
For some one already owning a D40 its not worth the cost of upgrading, but for a new starter out I would say go for the D40x if you can - the little extras might start to niggle at you later if you don't ;)

i have the complete different thought:
just buy the D40 u'll love it
The D40x is exact same camera to almost all of the d40/x users most of the people that buy a 40x think that ur getting all of these features that will get u better IQ
The thing is that the 40x has more pixels cramped into the same size sensor there for making pixels worse for low light.
i would skip the D40x and save the money and get the D40

thats an interesting thought....the store i will be going to may give me a deal on a small package, a d40x with a couple perks from the store, for $429....or a d40 with a 4GB memory card + perks from d40x package for same price....only difference is the memory card, which i can get cheap elsewhere...what do you say?

i dont really understand what u just said me stupid :D
do either of the packages come with a lens
b/c i know u can get a D40 with the kit lens at adorama.com is $375

yes, the packages are:

d40 with kit lens + 4GB memory card for $429

OR

d40x with kit lens for $429

what make of memory card?
Don't go with a cheap noname brand - since write times will most likly be slower and reliablity also reduced. Sandisk are a good solid make to go for

its probably a no name, but theres a chance it may be transcend if i remember correctly....however, i dont care, because i can get them really cheap at a computer store by me....is either of those a good deal?

b/c i know u can get a D40 with the kit lens at adorama.com is $375
That is with a refurbished kit lens.

To compare, the D40 with a new kit lens is $444 at Adorama.

Not that there is anything wrong with refurbished, some people don't like refurbished stuff, me included. But when comparing prices, either you have to note the refurbished item or compare apples to apples.

3 fps for D40x vs. 2.5 fps for D40. . .marginal at best.

Flash sync is quicker with D40 as well. .so advantage there.

I bought the D40x primarily because I was blowing up pictures - 11X18, so I wanted some room to crop. Otherwise, not worth it.

I'd jump for the D60 since the sensor and AF systems are far more advanced than the D40 series. . .

Neither, buy a nikon d70. ;)

Agree, a D70 or D50 if you can find one. Very good cameras and allows you more lens choices than a D40.

But for me (if it was limited to a D40 / D40X only) I would go with the D40X if we were talking the only difference is a free SD card. I just bought 4 1gb cards at Sam's for $20. So, a free card is not that big of a deal. You may not want the extra mp now. But you may in the future when you get some shots you really really like.

I had a d50 and loved it check out a used one. Also someone correct me if i am wrong(most likely I am) but you limit your lens selection with a d40 if you appreciate AF.

well, i bought the d40, and i love it! lens selection right now is not a big deal to me. there are plenty of lenses anyway, when i save up some money. the d40 will take any f-mount lens, ill most likely stick with the AF-S lenses anyway....

Most reactions

Back