Purchasing Lense hoods

ShaneF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello i am looking in to purchasing some lens hoods for my canon kit lenses, i was looking on ebay it really is hard to tell quality from a picture. Can anyone suggest a line of lens hoods they have had experience using please. I know its a pretty simple thing but i dont want to end up with ones that will keep falling etc.

Thanks

I would get the lens hood that goes with the lens. Brand name.

I would get the lens hood that goes with the lens. Brand name.

To expound on this: Find the lens on the manufacturer's website, and looks for their make/model of hood. Order that one.

So if your Distortion 5-2000mm f/1.2 pancake macro lens takes a BRHC:867-5309 hood (according to Distortion Lenses), buy one of those.

i only have 3 lenses as shown in my sig so i though if i got a 58mm and a 52mm i would be covered since the 58mm could be swapped back and forth on the zoom lenses.

Hoods, as a rule, aren't one-size-fits-all. A hood designed for a wide-angle won't do a telephoto much good. A hood designed for a telephoto will vignette on a wide-angle.

You'll get the best results by matching a hood specifically to the lens.

I may be a minority here but do a lot of people use their lens hoods, because I don't but maybe I should be. This is just a habit that I have got into that I just don't put mine on. They are so bulky. Maybe other people will chime in here. I am sure depending on the type of photography you want to do will make a big difference too.

Last edited:
I may be a minority here, but do a lot of people use their lens hoods because I don't...........

I guess I should have asked you if you did before I decided.......... :er:

Thats why i was planing on getting 1 hood for the wide 50mm since it needs a 52mm hood and the other telephoto lenses will take a 58mm.

So one hood for the wide angle and 1 hood to share with the 2 zoom lenses. You dont think that is a good idea?

I dont mind buying the 3rd hood i just dident know it would make a difference so it probably best to get the hood for the specific lens then. Thanks

Im stiil trying to find the canon hoods to fit anyway.

Kathy i mainly do landscapes an occasional portraits now but some videos on youtube sucked me in to thinking i should be using a lens hood.

Kathy i mainly do landscapes an occasional portraits now but some videos on youtube sucked me in to thinking i should be using a lens hood.
Maybe I should be. :)

I got a lens hood that uses the filter threads. Very useful when mounted on my CPL.

Kathy - i have you thinking you might need to be using one and i'm thinking i might not need one lol.

I would love to hear more opinions on lens hoods, who here uses them and why it might me an advantage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back