Pushing 4 stops and Semi-Stand Developing

randerson07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ryanandamy.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I may be shooting a show in some way low light this weekend. To prepare I picked up a couple rolls of Tmax P3200 at the only decent camera store around for $7 a roll. I figure Ill probably push it to 6400, and last night I did some looking around online and thought lets push some Tmax 400 to 6400 and try some semi-stand developing.

So at about 1:30am I loaded up some film, and went out to burn a roll. Got back home around 2:30 and went right to developing. I was totally guessing on my developing technique. I used Arista 76 at 1+3 for 1 hour. 30 seconds of Agitation to start, then 15 seconds at the 30 min mark.

While Im pleased it worked at all, there were some issues. 1st and most prolific is what looks to be Bromide Drag? Im using that term without really understanding it but I did see it described as something just like this.

It appears on every one of the negs if you look hard enough, some of them are much more pronounced that others.

2nd issue is that nice scratch you see going across the bottom, its on every neg in the same spot, Im guessing its from the way I loaded the reel. As I was loading the reel I remember there being some friction, but it was 2:30 in the morning and I was in a hurry.

I had serious issues getting them to scan, I had to select the images manually the scanner couldn't pick up where one started and one ended. And Frankly neither could I, lots of guessing and rescanning. The other issues where exposure related.

So now to questions, To avoid the Bromide Dragish type marks, Ive read I need to agitate more. I would assume I should dilute my developer a little more If im going to agitate more, but how much?

The only other developer I have is Ilfosol S that is probably just about out of time, Ive had it open for a couple months now, would that have been a better choice?

Here are a few more shots I liked off the roll.
1. self Portrait

2. I think my legs are different lengths, I cant keep a horizon straight to save my life

3. Im not sure why but I like this one

To see a few more, check my flickr below.

Thanks for reading.

Bromide is a byproduct of development being produced mostly in the highest density parts of the negative, then it flows down the negative restraining the development and causing the streaks. It will also appear around sproket holes in role film most commonly.

Bromide drag is most often the result of not enough agitation, as you stated. I would not dilute the developer more at first, rather find the agitation pattern that provides results without drag, than alter if need be. Try gentle constant agitation for the first minute than once every 10-15 mins. for 30 sec. If you can, lift the reel out of the tank and reimerse and use a double reel tank to provide plenty of developer.

Also, give a good 2 min. presoak.

Its going to be a bit of trial and error to deterimine agitation pattern and dilution and what works will most likely be different for each developer.

Well I tried it again yesterday, we have had loads of rain and I was hoping to see something cool. I saw some cool stuff but had I gotten outside while it was still raining I think I could have caught some better shots.

Anyways I did a 2 min soak, and agitated at 15 min, 30min and 45min. No Drag marks, Shots are nothing spectacular, but im happy. I did struggle for the 1st time to get the film on the reel, partly because I broke the film off in the camera trying to get 1 extra shot on the roll, Silly me.

have a look
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=arista ii semi-stand&w=82308981@N00

Looks like you are on your way. Keep experimenting to fine tune your methods!

Next time bring your film stretcher:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back