Putting your work up on devianart?

InTheViewFinder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if this is the right subject to post in The Beginners Place forum, or if this subject has been talked about.

What are your thoughts about posting your photos on devianart?

I ask this because I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Thank you for viewing.

Why wouldn't it be a good idea? I do it, on the off chance that somebody might like something well enough to buy it & I don't have to do anything but upload the pics.

You have as much control over your images as you want & as much as you'd have anywhere else on the web.

I think its terrible, you'd never see me on dA

Photobug, Thats true.

Just not sure about the whole people can steal your images and what not. Though I guess that could happen on some of the other websites.

Though devianart has some kind of copyrights you could do, but I'm not sure exactly what they are.

Thank you for your comment.

lostprophet

Why do you say that?

Well I'm just trying to figure out some of the pro's and con's of putting your photos up on devianart.

Because he's a s***stirrer :p

Posting your photos anywhere you have the risk of them being stolen. Use common sense. Post in low resolutions below 1024x685ish and people won't be able to print them. That will stop commercial use, but you'll eventually get someone who steals your photo and passes it off as their own. Make sure they don't get an original.

I have a page there, ive had some of my shots appear on other pages, but i only allow up to 800px wide shots available on my page.

I think its a great place to meet other photographers in your community. ive met some people who ive talked to who have amazing pieces of work. I say whatever gets your work out there. im on there quite a bit, and its fun.

Because he's a s***stirrer :p

Posting your photos anywhere you have the risk of them being stolen. Use common sense. Post in low resolutions below 1024x685ish and people won't be able to print them. That will stop commercial use, but you'll eventually get someone who steals your photo and passes it off as their own. Make sure they don't get an original.

Thank you Garbz for you comment. :)

That is really true about you have to take a risk of your photos being stolen if you post them anywhere. I just kinda heard that devianart is a website where it could happen a lot.

I have a page there, ive had some of my shots appear on other pages, but i only allow up to 800px wide shots available on my page.

I think its a great place to meet other photographers in your community. ive met some people who ive talked to who have amazing pieces of work. I say whatever gets your work out there. im on there quite a bit, and its fun.

Thank you GwagDesigns for your comment. :)

Do you know what the copyright stuff is about on devianart?

What I don't like about DA is the fact ones Photos are competing with Anime fanart, cartoon fanart, traditional art and the wannabes of all of the above fields. The viewing audience is as varied as it can be. DA's size is it's own down fall, Staff can't keep up with it's user base at all. Art theft and categorizing go nearly unchecked for long periods of time.

I just do not like DA, despite that I do have a DA addy:

http://thieves-hammer.deviantart.com/

P.S. read the journal entry

Also I help maintain an address for a site I work for on DA as a means of advertising the site to DA users:

http://photo-lucidity.deviantart.com/

I HATE deviantart with a passion.

Ever hear of flickr?

What I don't like about DA is the fact ones Photos are competing with Anime fanart, cartoon fanart, traditional art and the wannabes of all of the above fields. The viewing audience is as varied as it can be. DA's size is it's own down fall, Staff can't keep up with it's user base at all. Art theft and categorizing go nearly unchecked for long periods of time.

I just do not like DA, despite that I do have a DA addy:

http://thieves-hammer.deviantart.com/

P.S. read the journal entry

Also I help maintain an address for a site I work for on DA as a means of advertising the site to DA users:

http://photo-lucidity.deviantart.com/

Well thats true that Photos are competing with all the different types of art and what not on devianart.

I'll look at the links.

Thank you for your comment Battou.

Ever hear of flickr?

Well I kinda of heard flicker, but I'm not sure what it is really.

Thank you ScottS for your comment.

Ever hear of flickr?

Flickr is also not without picture theft. Garbz hit the nail on the head... if you put it on the net, don't complain if it is stolen, or used against your wishes.

I have a flickr account, with over 4500 pics on it... but if you go there, you will see but 200-250 or so. The better ones are private and for friends/family members only. The ones that are visible I would not fall over and cry if someone "stole". The best ones are here on my external hard drive and DVDs for me and my family's personal use. There are some that I won't even email.

I'd have to look this up again but a few years back i remember reading that when you setup an account with DA and you click that "i agree" you're actually giving DA full rights to your pictures, basically you're giving them ownership to the pictures. This could have changed, not sure never used them don't really like the site layout

Well thats true that Photos are competing with all the different types of art and what not on devianart.

I'll look at the links.

Thank you for your comment Battou.

Yeah, The reason for the second link is the wabsite it's maintained for is similar to DA just with out most the BS. We are hoping to get the attention of some of DAs photogs to come over as we are barely an upstart and don't really have anything substantial to our name....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back