Puzzle: Ming Thein's Mystery Camera

My guess is that it is a nice smartphone with a very good sensor. Perhaps something with a really high-MP count. The fact that it shoots video, has simple controls, and all the sample images he shows in his tease page look kind of semi-wide-angle-y makes me think it's a phone cam.

He said that you can't make a phone call with it.

It's clearly a little p&s of some sort. Which exist in droves. So, ultimately, who cares?

Says it's not a small format sensor and that it's inexpensive "for what it is". This makes me think it's not a point and shoot, as point and shoots are known already for being cheap.

Maybe Kodak is coming back! Nah.

In fact I think it's been established that it's a discontinued Nikon coolpix.

Maybe it's a very very bad cell phone.
Well, "cant be used for phone calls" would definitely qualify for being a godawful bad cellie, I'll grant you that !

In fact I think it's been established that it's a discontinued Nikon coolpix.
According to info on flickr, it's a coolpix l25, lol...
Pretty good match. But that camera has image stabilization.

P.s.:
Apparently it really is the Nikon Coolpix L25:

Ming Thein reviews a mystery camera Photo Rumors
Ming Thein's post is tagged "Nikon"

Last edited:
This news is about as welcome as a shart on a Saturday night movie date...

Wow...a fricking Nikon CoolPix???

Ming's a bit of a poseur. I have no doubt he's a fine commercial photographer, but he seems to be one of a community of photographic bloggers who are rather full of themselves, but don't seem to actually have much going on. Sells a lot of workshops, I expect, too.

Yeah yeah, you can do great work with a coolpix, if you're careful. yeah, you can do great work with a cell phone too. Or a pinhole camera. Etc.

We know.

Got him a lot of clicks this week.

using tapatalk.

Sells a lot of workshops, I expect, too.

Workshops are a pretty sweet gig if you can convince enough people you know what you're talking about. I worked in the digital labs, setting up gear and maintaining printers, at one particular east-coast workshop - people spend lots of money and the instructors walk off with a pretty sizable wad of cash.

Whole time I was wondering how much can people really learn in a week.

Tons of dudes out there with 10,000 followers on flickr wanna teach you how to churn out their favebait guff. Tons of dudes, apparently without eyes in their heads, wanna get taught.

The real question is how much are those guys going to learn from that guy. Since they can't figure it out with a five minute perusal of the one guy's flickr stream I got to imagine they're pretty unteachable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back