Quechee VT hot air balloon festival - 2019

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by SquarePeg, Jun 16, 2019.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What a fun event to photograph! I took hundreds of photos and still have many to go through but here are a few of my favorites. These were all taken Saturday morning as it was too windy Friday night for them to launch. I couldn't stay for the Sunday morning launch but several in our group did and they got some absolutely killer photos up there! This may be an annual thing for me. Lots of air bnb and hotels around and not expensive. Feedback and commentary always welcome.

[​IMG]Untitled by SharonCat..., on Flickr

[​IMG]Up up up! by SharonCat..., on Flickr

[​IMG]Reflected magic by SharonCat..., on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very colourful shots.............

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I officially hate you! :madass:

Shooting one of these is something I have always wanted to do... Well done!

4. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks.

Awe that just made it all the sweeter lol! Seriously though this one was very manageable as far as access and crowds. It's close enough for me to go annually but it's pretty small as far as it only had 20 balloons going up. Next time I'll plan it so that I can stay the whole weekend and take one of the rides ($250 eek). One of the guys in our group is going to the Albuquerque, NM fest and it has over 600 balloons! He's going to share his scouting notes for places to shoot from/access and I may have to go next year if it seems doable.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The last time I photographed a large bunch of hot air balloons was at the 1986 Walla Walla Washington "stampede", which is an annual balloon festival in Eastern Washington, in the so-called Palouse region, which is a large very beautiful area filled with rolling hills of what is called hard white winter wheat, which is really tall and green during the festival. It is a beautiful area in which to photograph hot air balloons. The Palouse is one of the finer landscape destinations in Washington state.

Of course in 1986 I was shooting Nikon, and a buddy and I each bought ourselves a brick of Kodachrome 64 Professional film which is 20 rolls of 36, or 720 exposures. Over three days we shot morning and evening launches of balloons. It was one of the best photographic opportunities of a lifetime. We drove from Eugene Oregon over to Walla Walla which is I would guess 7 hours.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmmm - the Palouse region is also on my bucket list so I would love to see that! Have started to keep an actual wish list instead of a mental list as there are so many places to see. I'm trying to get to 2 new destinations/events every year. Pacific Northwest is another one high on my list.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I am a lifelong resident of the Pacific Northwest region, and there are some beautiful things to see out here, such as volcanic mountain peaks, snow covered especially in the winter ot in late fall, peaks such as Mount Rainier, Mount Hood,Mount Jefferson, Mount Baker: The Olympic national Park in Washingto's coastal area, The Columbia River Gorge scenic area and some incredibly beautiful waterfalls, Silver Creek Falls State Park, Boardman State Park, beautiful coastal bays, and of course, A lot of other beautiful and scenic places. Unlike the eastern seaboard, Oregon and Washington really have very few people except in their very few large cities. California has almost 40,000,000 people,while Oregon and Washington have under 5 million people each

If you look at NASA's nighttime satellite view of North America, you will see that the entire area within the United States west of the Mississippi river is sparsely settled whereas the eastern seaboard and eastern 1/2 of the United States is densely settled. While looking at a conventional map is one way of getting a feel for the United States and North America, the nighttime satellite view from space shows settlement patterns in such a way as to make it obvious why some people out here I think that it is possible that Bigfoot lives here. For real.

If you want to come out here. The late spring is it wonderful time to do so. You could hit the Walla Walla balloon festival for a day or two and then drive west on a good Freeway and drive along the Columbia River and drive the same road pretty much to the Oregon coast and then go down the Oregon coast for a couple of days, and then zip into the Willamette Valley and take interstate five north and all through Washington, up to Canada if you'd like

• Like Like x 1
  8. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I will definitely be in touch for your suggestions and advice when I plan that trip!

9. otherprof

otherprof TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Great set. The reflections are my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice images - I really like the ones with the reflections.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah,feel free to send me a PM when you are ready to plan your trip, and we can discuss a few sites that are worth seeing either by PMs or by phone call.

• Like Like x 1
  12. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit