Question about BBF

The first few shots I'm not seeing any advantage what so ever but I'm going to try it for a while.

This is like writing a few lines text on a legal sheet of paper and saying I don't see the advantage of the extra 3".

Oh I quite agree and have a long way to go before I would give up on it. I've only shot about 10 shots with it messing around and I was playing with a manual focus prime at the same time so lots of distractions.

This is Tony's explanation and he shows why it works better very clearly.

But it is really awkward and the AF button on the K-3 is about a 1/4 too high on the body to be perfect for my hand. I've forgotten to focus a couple times but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for a great thread!

Right, that's the video I posted first. I just think the second one explained it better. Lots will depend on how your cameras ergonomics are setup.

Ahh I didn't catch the first video before the change. Good point on the race car prefocus. What you say makes a lot of sense that once you have it set that way I wouldn't change it because if you handed your camera to someone you would put it in green mode anyway.

LOL yeah I thought that as I wrote that. Who would I feel comfortable handing my camera to? Well maybe one of you guys but no one I know in the real world!

setup the camera, then hand it over. :p

I am using BBF in the following way:
- Autofocus is set to AF-ON only (the BBF setting).
- Set to AF-C unless I want to make use of the focus-assist of a speedlight where I go to AF-S.
- In the menu I have AF-C set to Release priority and AF-S is set to Focus priority.
- I select a focus point and if the subject is moving then I keep the subject in the active focus area and keep AF-ON pressed, if subject is still then I usually push and release the AF-ON various times finding the focus I want and then recompose if desired and take the shot.

BTW - my wife and grandson learned BBF; just like you hand the camera to someone and tell what the shutter button is, you also tell them the button to focus. Of course I handed the camera to my sister and she just manually focused, as is her preference, and BBF is perfect for doing that as well.

BTW - my wife and grandson learned BBF; just like you hand the camera to someone and tell what the shutter button is, you also tell them the button to focus.

Same here. I've done it several times. They ask how many mm is the lens or say "I bet you can see real far with that thing" or "Wow, that's some camera". That's when I let them feel how heavy the rig is and then hand it over so they can check it out. Here is the button to focus....piece of cake.

- In the menu I have AF-C set to Release priority and AF-S is set to Focus priority.

Can you expand on these settings? I don't understand the difference between release priority and focus priority and when to use what for what.

release prioirty means it will take the picture anytime you push the button.
focus priorirty means it will only take a picture if you're in focus.

Can you expand on these settings? I don't understand the difference between release priority and focus priority and when to use what for what.
"Release priority" means when you release the shutter, (press the button) it will release the shutter regardless of where the focus (for instance) is. "Focus priority" means the shutter does not release until and unless the image (the spot you have chosen) is in focus.

Thank YOU! After I posted that I looked in my camera manual and read the same. I had set mine to focus thinking there would never be a time when I would want what would have been a good shot if it was in focus anyway. But if you are in AF-C I suppose it would not be an issue. Fascinating myriad of technical stuff in these little black boxes!

LOL Yep forgot to push the button!
2f06ath.jpg

Most reactions

Back