Question about Canon SLR

AprilArchambeau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I would LIKE to have a video camera, but after buying the Rebel xs or an xti (can't figure out which is better, what do you have?) I won't be able to afford one also, plus I would only use it a few times a year, my current point and shoot Sony Cybershot 13.6mp records video, but it is TERRIBLE, grainy and blurry inside.

So my question is, does the xt or xsi record video? And is it high def? That would be great if it were even a little better than what I had now....Here is a sample from my camera....

My daughter a few days ago the first morning we woke her up in her big girl bed :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFjrLdWaJc]YouTube - Madison's first morning after sleeping in her bed 3 26 09[/ame]
watch

No they dont record video. The only dSLR I know of with video recording is the Nikon D90 -Danny

No they dont record video. The only dSLR I know of with video recording is the Nikon D90 -Danny

I'm pretty sure the 5D mkII (Canon) records video too.

Guess I am buying an HD video camera too then :)....I can buy a good Sony HD cam and buy the camera and still be under the price of the 5D mkII. I wish I could just buy that, the other problem is I don't know what I am doing yet so I probably wouldnt be able to figure out how to operate it haha

Thanks for replying :)

Take a look at the new Canon T1i Rebel. It shows to take HD Video also.

Yea but I cant spend more than $500 right now :(

Nope, you wont get one for under $500 with video. I would get an XTi (or even XT) and then buy a little flip video camera or something like that. They are only about $100

Does anyone know the main differences between an Xs and an Xti?

The XS uses SD/SDHC cards while the XTi uses CF cards... That's really the only difference I see (I'm sure there's more to it than that, but the specs are almost identical). Also the XTi is currently discontinued, while the XS is not.

Well, I am not sure what the other cards are, but the sd cards are very cheap so I will stick with that, not to mention the xs is cheaper :).....I have SO much to learn about these things, not even sure if I should get a body only for like $150 cheaper and buy the kit lens off of eBay or not. Would you trust buying an actual camera off of eBay? I want to be able to buy an extended warranty for it, but like the Cybershot I am trying to sell right now, I will probably never use it, this Sony is under warranty against ANYTHING until the end of 2010 and I will end up losing money from selling the camera ya know? Not sure if the warranty is worth it but I want that coverage incase the drop happens lol

Personally, I would just buy it from B&H (or locally, if you have a good camera store with reasonable prices).

If you plan on getting the kit lens anyway (which isn't as bad as you might think), I would just get the package. Not sure that you'll really save any money by buying the lens from eBay and the body somewhere else. You might save a couple bucks, but peace of mind is worth a couple bucks to me.

Canon | EOS Rebel XS (a.k.a. 1000D) SLR Digital | 2762B003 | B&H

Not a bad price at all since it comes with the lens.....Is there some sort of photo editing program that comes with the camera or do I need to get photoshop, I want to take professional pictures once I feel comfortable with the camera :)....And would you buy a warranty or not worry about it?

I myself do not know anything about internet companies at all, I had to google b&h hoping that was the name and it wasnt abbreviated ;-)....Anywho, found this website, comes with some extras, but then again I do not know if there is a point to spend a little more to get those, more than likely (99.999%) likely, I will buy accidental damage coverage....I want a place that has GOOD customer service and wont hassle me.

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p92363-canon-eos-rebel-xs-aka-1000d-kiss-f-101-megapixel.html

Canon | EOS Rebel XS (a.k.a. 1000D) SLR Digital | 2762B003 | B&H

Not a bad price at all since it comes with the lens.....Is there some sort of photo editing program that comes with the camera or do I need to get photoshop, I want to take professional pictures once I feel comfortable with the camera :)....And would you buy a warranty or not worry about it?

I myself do not know anything about internet companies at all, I had to google b&h hoping that was the name and it wasnt abbreviated ;-)....Anywho, found this website, comes with some extras, but then again I do not know if there is a point to spend a little more to get those, more than likely (99.999%) likely, I will buy accidental damage coverage....I want a place that has GOOD customer service and wont hassle me.

Canon 2762B003 EOS Rebel XS (a.k.a. 1000D, Kiss F) 10.1 Megapixel DSLR in Black with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens - FotoConnection.com

First of all - B&H is a very reputable retailer (and a sponsor of this forum). You will have no worries ordering from them - I have spent thousands there, not a single issue. (And your googling was correct - that is the B&H I was talking about.)

Personally, I never get the "extended warranty", but that's me - it's entirely up to you.

That camera should come with the standard Canon package - ZoomBrowser (organization/viewing software), DPP (Digital Photo Professional) - RAW Processor, and the Canon Utilities software (tethered shooting, uploading).

DPP, while pretty good for free software, is not the best RAW processor out there... I would look into Lightroom or Photoshop if you're going to be shooting RAW (which you should...).

The second link you posted (fotoconnection) does not have the best reviews on reseller ratings (Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping) - while they probably aren't scam artists (their rating is good enough that they are probably legit), I'm not sure I would spend my money there... Shop at B&H or Adorama (both sponsors of this forum, and both very well know, reputable dealers).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back