Question about layers etc with PSE8

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So question about layers in pse8. When your doing more than one fix to a photo ie skin softening, correction and eye sharpening how do you guys do it. Do you do one application at a time and saveor just keep adding layers.

For example I am getting rid of my daughters acne. I have the three layers. So initial layer, second layer that i have painted over acne and then background layer. If I want to sharpen here eyes do I save this file and start from the cleaned up one or do I apply it to layers already open. Sorry for the stupid question I need to go and watch some more training tutorials but was just curious as I am working on this one right now. Thanks for any info and sorry for the newb questions.

Last edited:
Work on a layer is non destructive, that is you always have the original file underneath, if your not happy with the work you can delete the layer and restart on another. In your case here if I was happy with the product I'd flatten the image and save as something else, so the original remains where it is, I'd then start on the flattened one, duplicate the background however many layers you want and continue editing till you have what you want. Too many layers can end up confusing for anyone so till your proficient keep the layers in check. H

Thanks for asking this question. I also do get confused with the layers. I don't mean to thread jack, but how should I organise my layers. For example, sometimes when I am working on a particular layer, my editing doesn't actually show up on the photo I'm editing.

Another question is that when I get rid of the subject's acne, then I decide to change the skin tone later on, the area where I edited the acne out stays the same color as before while the skin tone changes to the new coloe I set. How do I get around this?

Not sure if all of this applies to pse8. I use CS5. Typically I keep layers open unless its minor global stuff like color correction, then I will flatten to free up computer power. You can also group layers into folders to makeit less messy and then apply masks to the group as a whole. Atleast in CS5. As for the order oflayers, think of adjustments as transprent overlays that only effect certain things on the background layer ( the main picture) if you duplicate the background layer andput it above any other layer, it will negatetheir effects because you just put a new picture that is non transparent on top so you can no longer see through the adjustmentlayers to the bottom background. Make sense?

I assume this works on PSE8.

Depending on what you're doing it's best to make the changes on to Layers when possible.

When you open an image it's locked.
First thing you should do is make a copy and use the copy.
If you're using Clone Stamp you can create a new blank layer and and apply the cloning to the blank layer instead of altering the original.

Now you can combine the 2 layers into a new layer.
Don't Flatten or Merge Visible, use ALT+SHIFT+CTRL+E to combine all the visible layers into a new layer. Click off visibility to the over layers and work on the new combined layer.

You can continue like this through each step saving all the original layers in case you need to step back.

It would be a good idea to save you're work after every major change but not to new files because you're saving all the steps in that one file.

You can delete some or all of the layers when you're done, I don't but that's just me.

....... sometimes when I am working on a particular layer, my editing doesn't actually show up on the photo I'm editing.

I don't understand, how can you edit when you can't see what you're doing? Unless you use a layer mask you can only see the top layer.

Can you give an example?

Another question is that when I get rid of the subject's acne, then I decide to change the skin tone later on, the area where I edited the acne out stays the same color as before while the skin tone changes to the new coloe I set. How do I get around this?

Again you need give an example of how you removed the acne and how you changed the skin tone, what tools, layers, etc.

I don't know if this is answering the question or not (I read it fast 'cause I'm at work), but I do *everything* in it's own layer if possible. For example... I would sharpen the eyes in a new layer using a clipping mask... I wouldn't apply it to the acne smoothed layer, or whatever other layers I had open.

When I blur, that's it's own layer... dodge... it's own layer... heal... it's own layer... even if it's one tiny small spot that I'm editing... it gets it's own layer (as long as I don't forget... because when it's a small edit in one spot, sometimes I forget :lol: )
I hate dumb women who post their pics as their avatar and think that because they are hot that the can just goof off at work and get paid to use thw forums. Back to work slacker!! :lmao:

I don't know if this is answering the question or not (I read it fast 'cause I'm at work), but I do *everything* in it's own layer if possible. For example... I would sharpen the eyes in a new layer using a clipping mask... I wouldn't apply it to the acne smoothed layer, or whatever other layers I had open.

When I blur, that's it's own layer... dodge... it's own layer... heal... it's own layer... even if it's one tiny small spot that I'm editing... it gets it's own layer (as long as I don't forget... because when it's a small edit in one spot, sometimes I forget :lol: )

Yes thats right. Each application or correction is in its own layer. But last night I was doing two edits. I wanted to smooth skin to get rid of blemish.

So I opening picture made a new layer called layer one.
Then i used gaussian blur to smooth out the acne.
Then I created another blank layer underneath the first one, layer2.
Then I grouped them together.
Then I painted over the freckled, blemished area.

Now my question is, is it better to save this image and start all over to either sharpen eyes, whiten teeth, or eyes etc. Im sorry if that confused anyone. But this was my step by step process. Last nice I saved the image and then started fresh each time. But doesnt that effect the image quality for later?

If its a jpeg you save as, it will. If its a PS file it wont. Ps file is just a bunch of code tellin PS how to make the attached photo look. Until you output as a new picture file when you save, you are not hurting it. If you shoot RAW you cant physically change it, accidentally even.

Thanks for asking this question. I also do get confused with the layers. I don't mean to thread jack, but how should I organise my layers. For example, sometimes when I am working on a particular layer, my editing doesn't actually show up on the photo I'm editing.

I think you are confusing yourself when in layers, your edit should be visible, but, you have to select the layer to work on by clicking it in the layers panel, a new layer above the one your working will hide the working layer, hiding what your doing. work one layer at a time to prevent confusion its no biggy to flatten the work then duplicate a new layer for further work till your competent using the layer pallette. H

I guess I'm just confused as to why you'd have to start over? Can't you just take a copy of the original image, sharpen it, and then create a mask that only expses the eyes? then the eyes will be sharp but all your smoothing will still show through

:thumbup:

That's exactly the way to do it.
mwcfarms, there's no need to save it and restart.
You want to do as little to the actual image as possible.
Like Taylor510ce said, if you're saving to PSD or TIF you're not degrading the image by saving to a new image and reopening it but it's not necessary.

If you're saving and reopening to JPG you are degrading the image.

I think you are confusing yourself when in layers, your edit should be visible, but, you have to select the layer to work on by clicking it in the layers panel, a new layer above the one your working will hide the working layer, hiding what your doing. work one layer at a time to prevent confusion its no biggy to flatten the work then duplicate a new layer for further work till your competent using the layer pallette. H

This is exactly the problem that I am having. When I have three layers already open like I did last night when I created a new layer at the top of the group my entire picture went all blurry.

I name each layer according to what I'm doing, then my adjustment layers which name themselves, I started with this in college and baffled the tutor by working 9 layers for a composite for a brochure in PS5, digital images at the time were about 1mb and garbage so my brochure was from scanned film to achieve a decent printed size.

this is it, looks pretty crappy here but there was a lot of shots for this:

Adobe Web Photo Gallery / bp-brochure

I found I can eliminate alot of the blemishes and smooth the skin in my RAW editor before I touch layers.

Most reactions

Back