question about legalities

mkedre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is the procedure for photographing someone's home? There are some old homes here, some dilapitated, that I think would make good photos. What do I need to do? Other than personally ask them their permission, do I need to have them sign something? If so, where do I get such a form? If I get their permission, does that also give me the right to post them on the net??? Thanks.

If you are in a public place it is fair game, as far as I know. You might want to talk to the owners just to head off anything before it could come up. lit them know what you want to do and tell them you will give them a copy. If you go into there property that, as far as I know, is where you could get in to truble...

There are a few web sites out there with the "LAWS" about taking photographes and what your rights are. I had a few on my fav list on my lod computer but it is now a door stop.

I did not look but you might find more info at this site...
http://www.nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/

I think it also depends on what you do with the photos. I think it's called "fair use" laws, or something. Your best bet would be to call either a lawyer or newspaper in your area. There may be some local laws that they would know of.

My girlfriend worked for the Alberta government taking photographs of buildings and homes of historical significance (not designated landmarks or anything though). She did not require permission from the owners to do this. I'm not sure what your local laws are though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back