Question about Manual mode

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Say I manually set for f8 and 1/500, then take a shot.

Now I want to take a second, similar shot with the same settings. I go to frame my shot, and the camera is no longer on f8 and 1/500.

So, with each image I have to re-set my manual settings? Is this normal behavior?

I ask because I would have thought that, in manual mode, the settings won't change until I change them (or switch out of manual).

Thanks,

Jon

I dont think it is normal. I just tested my Canon XS and it keeps the setting between pictures and when i come back to manual from shutter priority. Dont know about Nikons.

You're right, manual should keep the same shutter and aperture settings until you change them (even if you turn the camera off and back on, or go from manual to another mode and back).

Does this happen every time? Is there any consistency or pattern to when this happens or how much the settings have changed?

You mean they actually change or the metering changes?

They should definitely not change (I've had the D40, D80, D200 and D90) and none of them changed on their own in manual mode.

This may sound silly, but are you sure you're not in Program (P) mode and temporarily overriding the settings that it wants to use?

Well, now it's holding the settings. I thing it may have had something to do with the AE lock.

Thanks, guys,

Jon

Last edited:
Well, not it's holding the settings. I thing it may have had something to do with the AE lock.
There is no AE lock when in manual mode because there is no 'auto exposure'.

There is something missing here, you will need to give us more info and confirm the mode you are in.

I've come across the same thing but yes in my case i was "P" (program) mode so after each shot it'd go back to f/4.

I saw this question not to long ago. It didn't make any sense..... that is, until someone suggested to make sure you haven't set auto-bracketing.

No, I was most definitely in Manual mode. I did - I believe - have bracketing applied at the time.

But why should that change my settings? Suppose I want to take a series of bracketed shots for HDR with the same settings?

Jon

If you are in bracketing mode, at least 4 shots after the original one are going to have different exposures. +1, +2, -1, -2.

If you are in bracketing mode, at least 4 shots after the original one are going to have different exposures. +1, +2, -1, -2.

With the D80, it's user choice for either three shots total (including the original) or two shots total (including the original). The exposure deltas are also user choice.

No, I was most definitely in Manual mode. I did - I believe - have bracketing applied at the time.

But why should that change my settings? Suppose I want to take a series of bracketed shots for HDR with the same settings?

Jon

The purpose of bracketing, the ONLY purpose of bracketing, IS to change the settings.

Most reactions

Back