Question about Nikon AF mounts.

Stephen.C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
I have purchased one lens for my camera the Nikon D3000 that did not come with the package, I tried to pick it out online but I ended up going to a photo store to help me.
Once again I am looking for another lens and I am having a little bit of trouble because of the D3000's mount restrictions.
I know what I want, but the problem is one is not supported with my camera.
There is the Nikon 35mm F/1.8 - DX and I know that this is supported by my camera.
This is also this Nikon 50 F/1.8, but is is not supported from my camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-GREY/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html#reviews
I was wondering if it would fit my camera, but the only thing disabled would be the Auto Focus, or would this lens not fit my camera at all?
I am hoping to upgrade to the D90 later this year because I am really interested in photography and love it, and i'm willing to go without auto focus until then for 100 dollars less than the 35mm.
Thank you guys!

you can use any nikon lens made since 1959 on your camera. The only thing you need to worry about are that AF-D lenses won't autofocus. You need AF-S or AF-I if you want AF.

I'm confused because the site says that its not supported with my camera, what isn't supported? Auto Focus or the ability to be put onto my camera?

AF won't be supported, but it will mount and otherwise work perfectly fine.

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me! l think I can go without auto-focus for the time leading up to my purchase of a D90 for the reason that its 100 dollars cheaper than the 35mm DX

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me! l think I can go without auto-focus for the time leading up to my purchase of a D90 for the reason that its 100 dollars cheaper than the 35mm DX

You should probably be aware that a 50mm lens mounted on the D3000 will not have a focal length of 50mm. It will actually be 75mm because of the 1.5 crop factor on the D3000.

Oh wow, did not know that. Is it like that will all my lenses? Say my 18-55 that came with the kit,when I put that at 50mm, will it look the same as the f/1.8 50mm?

Oh wow, did not know that. Is it like that will all my lenses? Say my 18-55 that came with the kit,when I put that at 50mm, will it look the same as the f/1.8 50mm?

Yeah, it's like that will all lenses, because the sensor on your camera is not full frame (it's smaller.) You're 18-55 kit is actually 27-83mm on a full frame, but you shouldn't worry too much about the conversion when you're taking pictures. Just zoom to whatever length fits you. But it's a important to know this when you're buying new lenses that are not DX format. DX lenses are designed for use on cropped sensors; they are just big enough to cover the sensor. Older lenses that were designed for full frames will still work but the sensor only covers a portion of the lens in the middle (because it's smaller.) So, when you're buying new lenses, you ought to keep this in mind.

You can read this for more clarification:
Nikon DX Lenses

Thank you very much, would you recommend getting the 35mm DX i mentioned above? Price is an issue, dont have a job at the moment, im 16.

It's not entirely correct to say the focal length of the 50mm lens on a D3000 (or any other camera) is 75mm. The focal length is still 50mm. What is different is the field of view. The field of a 50mm lens on a APS-C camera like the D3000 is equivalent to a 75mm lens on a full-frame camera.

As for deciding between the 35mm and 50mm, the best thing to do is to make use of the 18-55mm lens you already have to help you. Zoom that lens to 35mm and take a bunch of pictures without changing the zoom. Then zoom to 50mm and do the same. Then you can decide which of the two focal lengths seems to work best for you.

That helped alot emh, Thank you. I just went down to a photography store in my town and I tried both the lenses that I was looking at. They're very helpful and nice.
Ive decided on getting the 50mm lens, so thank you to everyone that helped me out.

.....Yeah, it's like that will all lenses, because the sensor on your camera is not full frame (it's smaller.) You're 18-55 kit is actually 27-83mm on a full frame....
You have that exactly backwards.

An 18-55 mm lens on a full frame sensored camera gives a FOV of 18-55 mm. As emh noted the focal length of the lens, does not change.

On a crop sensor it will give a FOV equivelent to full frame by the sensors crop factor, which for dSLR's could be 1.3x, 1.5x, 1.6x or 2x, depending on the camera brand and model.

Nikon's crop sensor crop factor is 1.5x for all crop sensored models.

.....Yeah, it's like that will all lenses, because the sensor on your camera is not full frame (it's smaller.) You're 18-55 kit is actually 27-83mm on a full frame....
You have that exactly backwards.

An 18-55 mm lens on a full frame sensored camera gives a FOV of 18-55 mm. As emh noted the focal length of the lens, does not change.

On a crop sensor it will give a FOV equivelent to full frame by the sensors crop factor, which for dSLR's could be 1.3x, 1.5x, 1.6x or 2x, depending on the camera brand and model.

Nikon's crop sensor crop factor is 1.5x for all crop sensored models.

Oh wow. I didn't even read it back to myself. But yeah, I meant it's 27-83 on the crop. derp. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back