Question about Nikon D700

ScottWy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just ordered a D700, and that 70-200 VRII lens. I recieved the camera, and expect the lens shortly.

Would I risk damage to the camera if I were to walk around with that lens mounted without support?

Should the lens be supported, or will the camera mount handle the weight of this lens?

It will be fine the 70-200 is not that big! They are designed for that sort of thing. I don't think the 70-200 actually comes with a tripod mount. Just hold it like any 35mm camera.

I am very jealous! You have ordered exactly what I want. Where did you get it from?

You will be just fine letting the lens hang off the camera.

And the new VRII does come with a foot.

It will be fine the 70-200 is not that big! They are designed for that sort of thing. I don't think the 70-200 actually comes with a tripod mount. Just hold it like any 35mm camera.

I am very jealous! You have ordered exactly what I want. Where did you get it from?

I ordered it from WalMart, of all places. It was purely an economic decision, as a relative got it for me at 10% employee discount.

I had a D50 for years, and was afraid the 700 would be difficult to use. It is actually easier. You can do many tasks with the touch of a button, instead of scrolling through the menu. I also like the feature that allows you to save different adjustment profiles.

Thanks guys, for replying to my question!

All in all, I could not really afford it, but I got it anyhow. I am sure it will be more than enough camera to last me the rest of my days.

LOVE mine!
I just posted some pics in a recent post with this set up. I have shot a bulk of a ten hour wedding carrying the bad boy mounted without any problem. I have read some people complain of wrist pain, but I am a petite lady and have no difficulty! Cannot tell you how much I love this!!!

The 70-200mm weighs a little over 3lbs. I use the Black Rapids camera strap and I still cup the underside of the rig as I'm walking around. The D700 lens mount is strong, but I still think it's a good idea to take precautions.

You should be just fine. I did it with my Tamron 70-200 on a D90 a bit different set up sure, but the D700 build quality is much better so I would not suspect any problems

Most reactions

Back