Question about Nikon Film Cameras

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife who tags along with me a lot is starting to express an interest in picking up a camera as well. Except she wants to do 35MM film. My question is, are there any older Nikon film cameras that can use the same glass as my D3200? It would be nice to be able to keep it to one system. I'd like to go used for the body and spend maybe around $100-$150.

I have umpteen film cameras but not too long ago just bought my first Nikon - got an F and I like it!! Probably you'd need a later model to be compatible with newer lenses, and others who are more knowledgeable about Nikon lenses could give some suggestions. Try KEH, I've done well buying from them, or I got mine from Adorama used. Can't remember offhand how much it was, not exactly expensive...

LOVED my Nikon F2.....!
We have several old Nikon film camera's for sale here at my store. 314-968-3650 ask for Jim Brooks.....(not me, but the man to deal with).

The current FM10 can utilize G-class lenses, but it's a cheap, cheesie thing.

The Nikon N90s is my suggestion for an easily affordable and easy to use film body. The N90s has a VERY GOOD viewfinder, autofocus, it uses easily-obtainable AA batteries,and is a good shooter, for not that much money these days.

There are tables on this page that show which Nikon models can use which lenses:
Nikon Lens Compatibility

Thank you! That makes life a lot easier

The Nikon N90s is my suggestion for an easily affordable and easy to use film body. The N90s has a VERY GOOD viewfinder, autofocus, it uses easily-obtainable AA batteries,and is a good shooter, for not that much money these days.

That sounds perfect! Seems like they are around $40-$50 on amazon, and will accept all af-s lenses. Seems like a winner.

My question is, are there any older Nikon film cameras that can use the same glass as my D3200?
The answer is simple. No. You will need a full frame lenses, lenses for D3200 will give black corners.
And according to Ken Rockwell chart G lenses cannot be used on FM-10 however they can be used on F75, a body wich I would recommend for occasional film shooter. Body is plastic, but it is the most recent and most modern amateur body from Nikon. Algorithm of light meter is supposed to be better, than F6. :D

My wife who tags along with me a lot is starting to express an interest in picking up a camera as well. Except she wants to do 35MM film. My question is, are there any older Nikon film cameras that can use the same glass as my D3200? It would be nice to be able to keep it to one system. I'd like to go used for the body and spend maybe around $100-$150.

Nikon lenses for film cameras will work on your D3200 but without autofocus or metering. There are ways around the metering and its not that hard to get great results with those older lenses on your DSLR. They work fine. The DSLR lenses are DX meaning they are optimized for APS-C size digital sensors which are a good bit smaller than 35mm so if you use those DX lenses on a film SLR you'll get vignetting or dark corners at some focal lengths. For instance, I have a Sigma 28-80 zoom which is a DX lens. At 28mm I get dark corners on my Nikon N90. at 30 and up to 80 its fine. If you get the older Nikon autofocus lenses they will work equally as well on your D3200 and film cameras.

The N90 would be my pick too; it's a solidly built camera with a great viewfinder and easy controls. Very simple to use. I'd also recommend you take a look at the N80, N65 and N2020. These are a bit lighter and smaller than the N90, especially the N80/N65. Unlike the FM-10 which is too cheezy-plasticky for my taste, those are less so with almost the same feel as the D3200 and similar controls from full manual to full auto. The N65/80 takes CR2 batteries and the N90 and N2020 take either AA or AAA which are a lot easier and cheaper to get. All of the above run around 50-100 depending.

Does she like heavy things? If not, I'd probably avoid an F/Photomic combo. Hoooooly frick. Sadly, it's the heaviest camera I own by a fair margin, and take a peek at my signature. It has some stiff competition for that title. I will, however, say that these are absolute TANKS. In fact, mine's made a GREAT hammer from time to time.

Good point Minicoop, I didn't think about that! I'm used to heavy cameras, I've always used all metal 'tanks'. Have the new Petzval/Zenit brass lens on my F, with a waistlever finder, so it's got some weight to it. Probably not the best choice for a beginner to say the least.

What is your shop again Scotty? you've mentioned it before but I forget the name.

Ooh look cute purple camera bag (shiny object, got distracted). Darkroom, film cameras, that got my attention! Thanks I'll take a look.

If you look around an F100 can be had around a buck fifty. Biggest problem there is you'll steal it once you play with it.

The N90s is practically giveaway priced now but has no VR support and limited G lens function support. The F100 does it all for only a bit more $. Forget the manual focus relics with your lenses.

Most reactions

Back