Question about photographing glass bottles

Augusto Cesar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there!
I'm a total newbie in photography in general, but i have a question and i was hopping you guys could help.
I'm trying to photograph some wine bottles in a white background and the bottles are getting this "white border" on them... I know it's a reflection from the background... I was wondering if there's a
technique that removes or decreases that.

Thanks!

Obs.: Sorry for the crappy english... I'm Still learning! :beguiled:

TTdvXx5.jpg

This is what i'm talking about... I want to get more "solid" borders...

what was your aperture?

Can you show your lighting set up so we could better understand the issue. As a norm you need two side strip lights or strip reflectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, I was about to write a couple of hundred words of advice but Scott beat me to it. As they say, a picture is worth a 1,000 words so I still owe a couple hundred.

Try reading the book "Light: Science and Magic." One of the points in the book is that the closer the light source, the less distinct the shadow (and conversely, the further away the light source, the sharper the shadow. So, without controlling for the impact of glass as a primary subject, if you move the light source further away (and also shoot with more directional light, no umbrellas or bouncing off the ceiling in order to diffuse the light and scatter it all around), you'll get a more defined shadow.

OP for bottles you'll also need to set your top light to have an aesthetically appealing reflection on the bottle's shoulder

Can you show your lighting set up so we could better understand the issue.
Quoted for truth. Is your current setup inside a lightbox?

Daaamm you guys are fast! I ran to downstairs to take a picture...
So... this is what i have.. (The store's guy told to my boss that this 'thing' is made specifically to photograph bottles and etc..
camera - Imgur
And i use this towels to block the light from outside... idk if it's right...
As i was saying... i'm a total newbie...

OP for bottles you'll also need to set your top light to have an aesthetically appealing reflection on the bottle's shoulder

I have a flash... it can work if i position it on top?

Most reactions

Back