Question about speedlight..

cepwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my new speedlight on Friday and I already see the benefits (I've been getting advice on another thread.) Anyway, here's the question. Since the light doesn't come on until I hit the shutter it makes the exposure meter not very useful. There is a "portrait testing" sort of mode so you can judge shadows but whats the best way to gauge exposure settings prior to making the image? Experiment and find a satisfactory histogram? Start with auto type settings and see what the camera comes up with? Hold the test button?

Thanks!

The best way? An exposure meter that will read strobes. The second best way? Experience and knowing how to use the guide numbers. The third best way (the way I do it)? Test shots ;)

Head over to the Strobist Blog, especially Lighting 101; lots of good information there.

Thanks for the info...I've just started going though the strobist material..and yes so far it's been test shots...

I just got my new speedlight on Friday and I already see the benefits (I've been getting advice on another thread.) Anyway, here's the question. Since the light doesn't come on until I hit the shutter it makes the exposure meter not very useful. There is a "portrait testing" sort of mode so you can judge shadows but whats the best way to gauge exposure settings prior to making the image?
What speedlight?

Yes, some Nikon speedlights have a 'modeling light' mode.

No doubt, reading your speedlights user's manual is a good way to find out what features, functions, and capabilities the unit has available for you to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back