question about sports photography, for a newbie

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi, having some time on my hands, i would like to try some sports photography. i was thinking college basketball possible. i would like to ask the more experianced people who have done this. as far as college and the NCAA can you take pictures for personal use, i dont plan to sell them, just basically for my own practice and fun. also my equipment is as follows.

d7000
24-70 2.8
70-300 4.5-5.6
85mm 1.8d

i figure i can use the 85mm and 70-300 for most of the pictures. the 85 helping with the large aperture, im sure it will mater how far i am away. i see some guys on tv right under the goal, wonder if they will let an amature / hobbyist there, i guess with college basketball it would be less likey to beable to get a seat there, maybe i should try high school?

any ideas, would be great, i just want to try to expand my knowledge and experiance...

Depending upon the lighting the 70-300 can give you good pictures, but the f/stop isn't really good. I think you have pretty much the same lens I do, and at longer mm, the f/stop wants to be at 5.6 which can really affect exposure if you have your shutter speed at 1/500 or higher. Your shorter lens have good f/stop but unless you are going to literally be ON the court, they are not going to be helpful. The 85mm might be if you are directly courtside, near the basket.

I'm saving for a 70-200 f/2.8 L lens, which should give me greater focus.

I would definatly go to either a high school or jr high to practice. No problem getting near the court, and it will give you some idea of what to look for etc. Check out a few of my threads, most deal with jr high basketball/volleyball. It's addicting though.

yeah i figured my 70-300 would be too dark for most photos, i would have to run it at a high iso to get anything probably. i seem to run into that problem already with most photography needing a fast shutter speed. unless its good daylight i seem to be running the 70-300 right on the edge, and always having to bump the exposure up in post...

im going to look into the 70-200mm 2.8. but the price is a killer, my 24-70mm was my investment that i bought a few months back, so its hard to spend that money right now, but there is a used nikon 70-200 locally 2.8 VRII for $1900, personally i would probably pick it up if it was cheaper, but i think he is pretty firm on price.

I'm not sure about NCAA basketball and what the rules are for photography but would check with the Univeristy and find out if there are any restrictions about shooting from the floor or the stands, depending on your access. If there are no problems, it looks like you have the gear to shoot.

very rarely with you be able to caputre anything at f 5.6 unless you are using strobes. the 70-200 f2.8 is ideal. try it and see what hapens.

That 85 1.8 will work well for Basketball. Start there. Nice fast lens you can open up wide.

85mm is fine if you are able to shoot court side, otherwise it's too short. 70-200mm is a great lens for basketball, well really most indoor sports. but everything comes down to where you are able to shoot from.

Looked to me like he was asking out of the gear he has, what would be best. He doesn't have a 70-200.

In that case if he can shoot courtside near the basket I would go with the 24-70 2.8. so much of the game play is deep in the corners.

I would suggest shooting some highschool stuff. I am about 80% sure you will not be able to shoot courtside for college without a press/media credential. so go hit up a local highschool game, plus if you cant get decent natty light you can use some off camera strobes and put them at the top of the bleachers here is a photo of one of my contacts on flickr that did it ...
hope this helps some..
Green Hope Girls Basketball - a set on Flickr

I would suggest shooting some highschool stuff. I am about 80% sure you will not be able to shoot courtside for college without a press/media credential. so go hit up a local highschool game, plus if you cant get decent natty light you can use some off camera strobes and put them at the top of the bleachers here is a photo of one of my contacts on flickr that did it ...
hope this helps some..
Green Hope Girls Basketball - a set on Flickr

Light is ok, but the photos are pretty average. You are right about shooting high school basketball for practice, it would be difficult to get a media pass to most NCAA games, although there must be some college basketball that may allow it for a game or two. It's always worth contacting the athletic departments and asking, all they can do is say no.

Most reactions

Back