Question About Straps

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been researching sling straps for my d7200, and find the BosStrap looks very interesting. It attaches to one of the strap lugs, not the tripod socket. On their web site they quote from both Nikon and Canon techs we warn against using the tripod socket to support the camera except on a tripod. They both said it was not intended to take the weight of the camera hanging off a straps and that the strap lugs were. I know how popular Black Rapid straps are, and I have a Speed Carry on my d5100. Any comments would be welcome.

Personally I use a combination of straps

Note I use a battery grip with my camera; this makes a difference as to what lug based traps you can fit because it adds a second connection point lower down.

1) I use a Canon E1 wrist strap which is connected to the two trap lugs on the right side of the camera. This gives me a bit of support whilst shooting and, when the camera is held at rest to the right, lets you take a bit of wait off your fingers as you rest it against your wrist (hard to describe that clearly)

2) Attached to the regular neck strap lugs is an OPTech Neck Strap. This I tend to use a lot less these days, but its there and ready. The bonus of the OPTech strap is that the strap neckline is thickly padded to take strain off your neck; meanwhile the main body can be unclipped from the strap ends without unstrapping it. The two clips then connect together so that they keep out of the way on the camera body. So you can easily remove the body of the strap without having to unthread it.

3) I use a Black Rapid shoulder strap. This connects to an arca swiss quick release attacher which connects to an arcaswiss plate on the bottom of the camera.
A quick mention that arca swiss quick release plates are custom for each camera/tripod type and fit into the tripod screwthread; however the plate is large and has a lipped edge which stops the plate rotating around the screwthread. They are expensive but well worth it.

The Black rapid screwthread mounted part screws into the arca swiss mount (I glued this in since the mount won't be used for anything else; this helps reduce the chances of it unthreading itself). I then simply mount the plate to mount and it works just fine.

The Black Rapid is great as it takes weight from your right arm and hand and transfers it to your left shoulder. I still keep a hand on the camera, but its more to hold it steady than it is to support the full weight. It's FAR more comfortable to have the weight on shoulders than on neck or wrist.

I use the Peak design slide with my D7200 and Tammy 150-600. Works well.
Slide
See they have it in grey now. Mine is blue.

Slide
I like the looks of that sling.

ETA: The BosStrap looks good, too.

Last edited:
Personally I use a combination of straps

Note I use a battery grip with my camera; this makes a difference as to what lug based traps you can fit because it adds a second connection point lower down.

1) I use a Canon E1 wrist strap which is connected to the two trap lugs on the right side of the camera. This gives me a bit of support whilst shooting and, when the camera is held at rest to the right, lets you take a bit of wait off your fingers as you rest it against your wrist (hard to describe that clearly)

2) Attached to the regular neck strap lugs is an OPTech Neck Strap. This I tend to use a lot less these days, but its there and ready. The bonus of the OPTech strap is that the strap neckline is thickly padded to take strain off your neck; meanwhile the main body can be unclipped from the strap ends without unstrapping it. The two clips then connect together so that they keep out of the way on the camera body. So you can easily remove the body of the strap without having to unthread it.

3) I use a Black Rapid shoulder strap. This connects to an arca swiss quick release attacher which connects to an arcaswiss plate on the bottom of the camera.
A quick mention that arca swiss quick release plates are custom for each camera/tripod type and fit into the tripod screwthread; however the plate is large and has a lipped edge which stops the plate rotating around the screwthread. They are expensive but well worth it.

The Black rapid screwthread mounted part screws into the arca swiss mount (I glued this in since the mount won't be used for anything else; this helps reduce the chances of it unthreading itself). I then simply mount the plate to mount and it works just fine.

The Black Rapid is great as it takes weight from your right arm and hand and transfers it to your left shoulder. I still keep a hand on the camera, but its more to hold it steady than it is to support the full weight. It's FAR more comfortable to have the weight on shoulders than on neck or wrist.

Slide

Slide
I like the looks of that sling.

ETA: The BosStrap looks good, too.

Thanks for the advice!

I use an Optech utility series that attaches to the strap mount on my camera. It's really comfortable.

I use an Optech utility series that attaches to the strap mount on my camera. It's really comfortable.
I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but, now that I'm in the market for a strap, as my new-to-me camera body didn't come with one, it has Become Important.

Looking at all the options that have been discussed in this thread, as well has many other across which I ran in running down the ones mentioned here, I think the Op/Tech Sling XL Quick Adjust system looks like the best alternative for me.

I like:
  • The way the tethers tie to the camera strap ears
  • The quick-adjust system
  • The ability to switch sides with the gender changers
  • The lens tether option

I've been researching sling straps for my d7200, and find the BosStrap looks very interesting. It attaches to one of the strap lugs, not the tripod socket. On their web site they quote from both Nikon and Canon techs we warn against using the tripod socket to support the camera except on a tripod. They both said it was not intended to take the weight of the camera hanging off a straps and that the strap lugs were. I know how popular Black Rapid straps are, and I have a Speed Carry on my d5100. Any comments would be welcome.
I’ve had the BosStrap for a couple of weeks now, and really like it. I got the type designed to stay attached to one camera as I have no need for quick changes. I like the lack of a strap pad, which I was always having to reposition on my Speed Carry strap, and find it comfortable without one. The tripod socket is always available for the rare times I might use one. It is a very simple, functional design and cost under $40.

I finally decided to get off the dime and give the Op/Tech Sling XL Quick Adjust a try. Ordered a pair of gender changer connectors so I could hang the camera on my left side, instead of the right. I'll let y'all know what I think.

I've had a shoulder sling strap for YEARS now. I as well, did NOT want to use the tripmount for my strap -- it's just a really dumb place to anchor your strap. So I went with the op/tech brand.

I own a few of their straps, but started going back to the traditional over-the-neck-style. When I'm out shooting in most cases, I have a bag with me that I throw over my shoulder, so the camera gets in the way. When I use a neck-strap it stays out of the way, and if I need to, I can sling it over my left shoulder.

I bought their dual strap and absolutely hate it however. If I lift one of the cameras up, the other side falls down.

My sling bag actually slings over the right shoulder, so slinging the camera to the left should work. Plus my buddy gave me a belt-mounted lens case. I'm thinking maybe the camera on a sling and that case might do me for things like walks in parks or nature areas, or trips to the zoo?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back