Question About Stroboframe Camera Flip and a D300

Oh yeah. Strobist.com has lots of uses for a cereal box and some gaffers tape. :) If you have not been there, read their lighting 101 and 102 section. That site rocks. :)

Yeah, I've got a full set of studio lights for "off camera lighting", but I'm not dragging them to a night beach barbecue and have to worry about rigging up power to take candids of my family getting drunk...

You do know that there is such an invention as a light stand and a hot shoe for speedlights, right? ;)

Visit Strobist for an eye opener.

BTW, I carry as many as *3* studio heads to a wedding. Matter of fact, 1 of the 2 flashes I had going ALL the time was a studio head on a stand 13 feet in the air powered by a Vagabond II battery pack and triggered by a Pocket Wizard. I shot over 2000 pictures last night and this morning, plugged in the Vagabond unit... it was fully recharged in LESS than 15 minutes, meaning that after 2000 pictures, I likely had *another* 2000 pictures to go before reaching about 25% of the total battery life... lol.

I tried out 5 shots of on camera flash last night... just for fun. Well, it took me 5 seconds of chimping to clearly remind me why I do *not* use my flash on the camera.
- the lighting is flat and BORING
- everyone looks like a demon (can you say red eye)
- it over-lights everything with very little control
- basically... it looks like crap!

If you want, later on tomorrow when I process the pics, I can post some examples of the same scene using off and on camera lighting... I'm not doing that today... it's my birthday, and I am taking a well deserved day off after a really hard but tremendously fun wedding. :)

(too bad I found out late in the evening that the private golf club where the reception was held belonged to Celine Dion. Not sure if that is true or not... but that place was FINE!)

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got a full set of studio lights for "off camera lighting", but I'm not dragging them to a night beach barbecue and have to worry about rigging up power to take candids of my family getting drunk...

You do know that there is such an invention as a light stand and a hot shoe for speedlights, right? ;)

Visit Strobist for an eye opener.

BTW, I carry as many as *3* studio heads to a wedding. Matter of fact, 1 of the 2 flashes I had going ALL the time was a studio head on a stand 13 feet in the air powered by a Vagabond II battery pack and triggered by a Pocket Wizard. I shot over 2000 pictures last night and this morning, plugged in the Vagabond unit... it was fully recharged in LESS than 15 minutes, meaning that after 2000 pictures, I likely had *another* 2000 pictures to go before reaching about 25% of the total battery life... lol.

I tried out 5 shots of on camera flash last night... just for fun. Well, it took me 5 seconds of chimping to clearly remind me why I do *not* use my flash on the camera.
- the lighting is flat and BORING
- everyone looks like a demon (can you say red eye)
- it over-lights everything with very little control
- basically... it looks like crap!

If you want, later on tomorrow when I process the pics, I can post some examples of the same scene using off and on camera lighting... I'm not doing that today... it's my birthday, and I am taking a well deserved day off after a really hard but tremendously fun wedding. :)

(too bad I found out late in the evening that the private golf club where the reception was held belonged to Celine Dion. Not sure if that is true or not... but that place was FINE!)

Jerry, et. al.,

I really appreciate the extensive suggestions, but to get back on topic, I'm not an event photographer. I don't want to be an event photographer. I'm doing a favor for my sister and taking pics at the beach barbecue rehearsal dinner for her. The pics will be candids, no formal stuff. I don't want to spend a lot of money on gear I'm never going to use again because I'm not an event photographer.

My question was/is whether or not the Stroboframe Camera Flip will work with the D300 or if the D300 is too large for it. I'm looking at the Stroboframe Camera Flip because it is the cheapest and simplest camera flip type of bracket available. It also keeps the flash oriented vertically when in the portrait orientation and it positions my right hand in my preferred position of being on top in the portrait orientation.

So, while I sincerely appreciate the creativity and versatility in the other suggestions, it really doesn't answer the core question. Not that I'm not filing all the information being given here away for later use, 'cause I am!

Well... here is what I did... I went to a local photography store, put one on my D700, and it worked. With and without battery grip. To answer your question... it will work for you too.

Unwanted extra: I also found it nuts expensive for what it is and what it does. THIS is the one I tried it out on. THIS is what I recommend... at least you are not tossing out hundreds of dollars for nothing... just $40 plus shipping... for nothing. ;)

Well... here is what I did... I went to a local photography store, put one on my D700, and it worked. With and without battery grip. To answer your question... it will work for you too.

Unwanted extra: I also found it nuts expensive for what it is and what it does. THIS is the one I tried it out on. THIS is what I recommend... at least you are not tossing out hundreds of dollars for nothing... just $40 plus shipping... for nothing. ;)

Wow, Jerry,

Thanks for the research and thanks for feedback! Man, I love TPF and TPF'ers!

Unfortunately, THIS is the bracket I was considering, and it does not fit the D300 (I paid a visit to my local camera store, also). The flash flip version that you recommended has been borrowed from my best friend and is going to Seattle with me next week. It doesn't quite fit the bill, because in the vertical orientation, the SB-900 is lying on it's side (rotated left 90 degrees), and the shutter release is on the bottom rather than where I prefer it on the top. Ah well... If wishes were horses...

My sister better appreciate this!

Last edited:
It doesn't quite fit the bill, because in the vertical orientation, the SB-900 is lying on it's side (rotated left 90 degrees), and the shutter release is on the bottom rather than where I prefer it on the top. Ah well...

that is why they charge massive bucks for a $20 worth of metal and some foam for... to be able to do just that, I suppose.

Most reactions

Back