Pugs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pugsnet.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

For my sister's wedding, she's hired a real photographer for the actual wedding and reception. For the rehearsal dinner (beach barbecue, really) she's asked if I would do informal pics.

For my cousin's wedding a few months ago, I came to HATE the weird shadows from the SB-900 mounted directly to the camera when I went vertical with it.

With that history, I'm looking at the Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket as it is the least expensive camera flip model I've found and it allows for my preferred vertical orientation with my right hand and shutter release on top rather than on the bottom.

The problem is that I've read two reviews that say the D300 is too large for the frame. One of those reviews mentioned a mod being done to the bracket to make it fit, but doesn't elaborate on what the mod is.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination of a D300 with the Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket? If so, can you provide insight into the size issue and/or the mod in question?

I'm also open to other low-priced alternatives. I stress low-priced, because event photography is NOT my thing and I'm only doing this as a favor to my sister so any flash bracket I buy will be used only sparingly.

Thanks in advance!

I have that bracket adn cannot use it with my 40D if I put on the battery grip. If that gives you any size comparison, I hope it helps. Also, my nikon friends had the same issue with their D90 and D300. It looks like the combination of a battery grip and the off camera flash cord makes it too high for the capera to rotate without hitting the side of the frame.

I wound up getting the Cusstom Brackets folding T bracket. It works pretty well and compresses to small space in my bag.

I have that bracket adn cannot use it with my 40D if I put on the battery grip. If that gives you any size comparison, I hope it helps. Also, my nikon friends had the same issue with their D90 and D300. It looks like the combination of a battery grip and the off camera flash cord makes it too high for the capera to rotate without hitting the side of the frame.

I wound up getting the Cusstom Brackets folding T bracket. It works pretty well and compresses to small space in my bag.

Oh! But your friends were able to use it with the D300 without the battery grip?

Thank you for the reply!

No. They had the same problem. That bracket is made for non battery grip cameras.

No. They had the same problem. That bracket is made for non battery grip cameras.

Right. I meant were they able to use it if they removed the battery grip from the D300.

I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

OH. I will ask him to be sure, but I know the D90 was able to use it.

I am thinking it will not work. I saw this quote on Amazon's feedback for the bracket.

" I now have a Nikon D300 which is a larger camera and the bracket does not fit. I can force it but who wants to chance... "

You know. I would highly suggest just making one of these. I did not believe it at first, but it works perfectly and costs $3 or so to make with one trip to Wal-Mart. I used it recently and it really worked well. No red eye, and beautiful soft light.

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

PS. I used spray adhesive instead of sewing it.

Also, I am heading out for a photo shoot tonight. I am doing some advertising shots for a local bar. I will be using this for a lot of the shots and off camera flashes/umbrellas for the bigger shots. Just to let you know I stand behind it. :)

That doesn't address the situation where the speedlight is hanging off the side of the camera when it is held in portrait orientation, whereas a flash bracket does, which is what the OP is looking at.

Yes it does. Just attach it in the short end of your speed light. Whe you go portrait/vertical, roate your flash up toward the ceiling. This thing is 12 inches tall. It still puts your light source higher than your lens and results in no red eye and it pushes the shadows down behind the subject.

Here's the commercial version of it. Check out their video.
Lite-Scoop Flash Reflector

Also, look at threads in this forum. There is good info on exactly what you are trying to do. Read the discussion in this one. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...news-reviews/170334-bigger-flip-released.htmlhttp://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...news-reviews/170334-bigger-flip-released.html

Bah... learn the wonders of OFF camera lighting, get superior results and never waste your money on camera brackets again. ;)

The ONLY reason a flash sits on my camera is becuase when there, it fools the camera into going into TTL mode and I can then sync my off camera flashes at ANY shutter speed, whether they are TTL aware... or not.

Yeah, I've got a full set of studio lights for "off camera lighting", but I'm not dragging them to a night beach barbecue and have to worry about rigging up power to take candids of my family getting drunk...

I'm looking for a cheap bracket that'll serve this one function to make my sister happy. I don't do event photography so after this one application, I'm not likely to use it very often at all...

I gotta say, I love the MacGyver mentality in some of the suggestions! ;)

Yes it does. Just attach it in the short end of your speed light. Whe you go portrait/vertical, roate your flash up toward the ceiling. This thing is 12 inches tall. It still puts your light source higher than your lens and results in no red eye and it pushes the shadows down behind the subject.

Here's the commercial version of it. Check out their video.
Lite-Scoop Flash Reflector

Also, look at threads in this forum. There is good info on exactly what you are trying to do. Read the discussion in this one. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...news-reviews/170334-bigger-flip-released.html

We really need a "Slaps Head" smilie. Right you are. In fact, you just gave me an idea for a snoot/diffuser hybrid. I'm off to empty the cereal box into a ziplock bag and get out the gaffers tape.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back