Question about vision for those who wear glasses

LatentTom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My distance vision is fine but I need glasses to read up close. I was wondering for those who need glasses for distance. Can you see fine with your glasses through the view finder? I am considering purchasing glasses with distance and reading combo, because I can not see the camera menu very well to make changes. Just thinking it is going to be to much of a pain to keep puting on and taking off glasses every time I need to make changes. So far when I am out shooting pictures I go without glasses but to make changes in the menu it's a bit of a blur.

<---- Tri-Focals.

I have the diopter set so I don't use my glasses shooting. I just like doing it better that way. I wear my glasses, and just push them onto my forehead when shooting.
If I am shooting a lot, I can manage my camera through the viewfinder with the necessary things. No need for menu diving.

If you can see OK without your glasses then it's pretty much up to you. I only really need my glasses for reading and close work as well, since I've had surgery on both eyes, however I'm so accustomed to them being there I normally wear them. The opposite of Bitter Jeweler I wear my glasses when I shoot most of the time. It's just more comfortable for me that way.

....just speaking for myself,but I find it quite awkward to hold a viewfinder to my glasses.I have a set of "croakies",so when I need my glasses,they are right there.

Lasik FTW! If it's possible for you.

Think long and hard about it. Seriously. All of those warnings and disclaimers they have you sign are for a reason, and bad things to happen from time to time.

I hate using my glasses for any viewfinder, binos, cameras, the lot. If time is so critical that I have to peer like an old man to chimp then so be it.

Think long and hard about it. Seriously. All of those warnings and disclaimers they have you sign are for a reason, and bad things to happen from time to time.

Aye, my sister had laser eye surgery and it was completely ****ed up, not worth it just to avoid having to put up with the enormous handicap of having to push your glasses up onto your head.

When I asked my eye Dr why he he still wears glasses...he said LASIK was too new and risky...that was enough for me. If I cold not see to work I would be in a homeless shelter.

I've had perscription glasses, but I've found the 1.50 reading glasses from your local pharmacy work just as well. If there is anything closer than arm's length that I have to focus on, on go the glasses. Otherwise, I'm fine.

I have been tempted to install a KatzEye split-prism focusing screen on one of my cameras. Partly to manual focus for macro work, partly for nostalgia.

I usually go into the menu to change ISO settings. I just purchased the D5100 recently so still learning the camera, seems like I read that there is a button on the camera you can set for a custom setting so maybe that will work for ISO.

I might consider having Lasik done but I'm unemployed and a few years from social security age, so its out of the question for now. I can see the settings in the view finder without glasses just fine, so guess I'll just keep shooting the way I have and maybe keep reading glasses in my camera bag in case they are needed.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

.... and a few years from social security age, .....
I just took advantage of a senior citizen discount last night for the first time. I'm a bit uneasy about it because it means I have to come to terms about my age, but I think I can get used to it. :lol:

When I first started shooting 35mm film in the early '70s, I never thought about taking my glasses off and just pressed them up to the rubber eyecup. At that time, I was near sighted only, but had decided 5-6 years earlier to simply leave my single-correction glasses on all the time. I had quickly grown tired of glasses on, glasses off, on, off, etc while in college. So on they stayed.

Since then, I've graduated to progressive correction (no-line tri-focals, essentially) and still keep my glasses on 100% of the time. The solution I found that works was getting an eyecup 'extension' thing for my Canon 30D and later 60D. Unfortunately, with my new 5D3, the eyecup extension won't fit. It's a different size, and Canon doesn't make one for the 5D3. So, I bought a Vello(?) LCD screen protector that slides down over the eyecup mount to be secured. I managed to scratch that about 2 weeks after I bought my camera, so I carefully sawed off the eyecup mount part and use that as an extender. Works like a champ!

Basically, I want to see clearly regardless of my situation or how fast/slow I'm refocusing my eyes. So leaving the glasses on all the time works for me. Why not contacts? I had an accident as a child that caused significant eye trauma and ever since, I have a phobia about anything whatsoever in my eye. Even opthomologists have to fight to get drops in my eye or make me take the glaucoma test!

It's glasses for me, all the time. If I took them off, I wouldn't be able to see the camera. :lol:
Seriously, that diopter adjuster is great for most people, but I can turn that dial from one side to the other and without my glasses, I can tell absolutely NO difference in the resultant big, blobby blur I see.

I saw someone mention in another thread, some time ago, something about a prescription viewfinder adapter; I meant to check into that and see how much it would cost, but never got around to it. Anyone know anything about that?

Still, all in all, I've worn glasses ALL the time since I was in second grade (well, I did go to contacts for about 10 years) so I'm kinda used to it. Doesn't really bother me most of the time. But on really cold days like we've had lately, I find that often when I hold the camera up and put my glasses against the viewfinder, my glasses get fogged up. I guess my warm breath hits the back of the camera and rises up to the glasses and gets trapped there. That gets kind of annoying. Also, if it's drizzling rain, or really hot outside, I end up getting moisture on them, and that's annoying too.

Probably NOT annoying enough to spend very much on a high-tech solution though. :lol:

Get Crizal lenses and all your problems will soon be over...best thing since iced tea. Nothing sticks to these lenses..not fog, fingerprints, dust..I LOVE THEM.

I hate using my glasses for any viewfinder, binos, cameras, the lot. If time is so critical that I have to peer like an old man to chimp then so be it.

Aye, my sister had laser eye surgery and it was completely ****ed up, not worth it just to avoid having to put up with the enormous handicap of having to push your glasses up onto your head.

Everyone I know, including myself have had no issues. It's more than pushing your glasses up too. I was spending close to $500 every two years on new glasses. They also break. I've been seeing 15/20 for two years now and can't be happier.

Now the op said they're nearing retirement so it may not be worth it.

Most reactions

Back